Crying in Maya with Nparticle's, a seemingly simple question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Crying in Maya with Nparticle's, a seemingly simple question

Hello,everyone. I've been getting my answers from here for a while, this is my first time asking.

I've been working on creating tears, on a moving character. (Alembic not rigged)

So i put a participial emitter on a motion path and had it emit Nparticles behind it, (which follow the emitter), controlled by a per particle attribute attached to a ramp, which works O.K, on a static mesh, but of course when i wrap the motion path to the moving mesh the Nparticle's emit in world space and leave a trail rather than a tear.

So how can i get the particle's to ignore the characters translations, and just move down the face as it deforms?

If anyone can point me to a tutorial as well that would be great.

03 March 2018
Simulate tears on static mesh.
Export resulting tears mesh to Alembic.
Wrap deform Alembic tears mesh to character mesh so that it will move along the character.

03 March 2018
Thanks for your response, I came to the same conclusion, and it does work. I was thinking there must be a better way to do it.

03 March 2018
One possibility is to constraint the particles to the surface of the mesh with a slide on surface constraint:

dropOnMovingSurface.ma

To setup select all your particles (as particle components) along with the character mesh then create a slide on surface constraint.
Set the constraint rest length scale to zero to snap the particles to the surface, and adjust the constraint strength to something like .1 to attach to the surface, yet still allows a little distance from the surface. Adjust the friction based on how much you want the particles to be able to slide. Also setting the tangent strength to 1 will help with the friction.
You also need to set the collision thickness low on the mesh and to the desired value on the particles. I used the liquid solver method on the particles with lots of surface tension.
If you need particles to fall off you could lower the glue strength on the constraint.
Something you might play with is a little motion drag on the constraint. This is like having some air around the mesh that moves with it. It will pull with the movement of the mesh without imparting as much momentum.

reply share thread