Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Kwik
portfolio
Kwik
Portland, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Vray Noob

So I just got my hands on Vray for Cinema 4D. I am eager to get it going since it has so many options above and beyond that of the render engines that come stock with Cinema 4D. Problem is I am having a difficult time getting it to achieve. First off it took 1 hour and a few mins to render a simple text scene. I used materials that I had made in C4D and did the conversion on them thru the Vray bridge. From what I can tell it seems to only make a rough idea of what it thinks the material should look like. So for instance I had made a simple black with about 15% reflection value. And a white floor and background. I used a illumination sphere with a value of 400% on the GI generation. I tagged the camera and did compositing on the light sphere. But after the hours wait there is only what appears to be a funny looking black and white image, some reason it looks nothing at all like the standard, or physical renderings I did to compare. Looking to the web now for any ideas on what I may have set incorrectly. Also I am wondering if someone can tell me how to reduce the amount of GI prepasses VRay makes, 4 passes seems excessive for something simple. I have tried a couple different presets but don't see any reductions. Any info really is helpful.Thanks! ^

Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
spedler
Expert

portfolio
Steve Pedler
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

If you've just bought a copy of Vray then you should join the Vray for C4D official forum. You're much more likely to get help there and Stefan is very quick to help legitimate user's questions.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
lewisrowe
Imagery for brands

portfolio
Lewis Rowe
3D Artist
London, United Kingdom

Dont worry Kwik, fast and beautiful GI renders are around the corner. I remember the first days of getting Vray being a bit alien. But once you realise a couple of things and start thinking about materials and lights in the VRay-way of thinking and not the C4D-way you'll be amazed at how fast and easy setting up a good looking render is.
Spedler is right, join the vrayforc4d forum. You'll get loads of fast help there.

But for now, heres the ting aboout Vray coming from AR..
- Materials - its all about specular and fresnel (the natural reflectance of nearly all surfaces)
- Lights - Its mostly all about Area lights (like a photographer's studio soft box) and Infinite light (VRay sun+sky for outdoors stuff).
- GI and natural blurry reflections and IOR for everything - Its cheap and real looking.. renders fast.
- Use two render settings 1.Super fast test renders in seconds (see what you're gonna get but with a little speckle), then 2. Hi Q big high res renders in under 5 hours.

So, my initial tips...
- no point in using the material converter in the end. Vray mats soon become a doddle. For reflection use the specular channel. tick on 'trace reflections'. tick on 'trace specular' for adding a c4d-style fake specular glare (think light bulb glare in your reflection). 'Reflection glossiness'= reflection blurryness. Specular glossiness=wide or thin fake specular glare c4d style. set all colours to have 80% brightness and dont go above 80% sturation on colours (the VRay natural way).
- for your 'illumination sphere' instead use a Vray area light - set it to 'dome light' in the tab. (This is where you also load hdr if needed.
-whilst you're learning dont bother with a Vray camera tag for exposure etc. just adjust the brightness of your light for exposure.
- For a quick preview render set this:
AA = Adaptive DMC, min 1 max 2, thresh 0.01
DMC samples = 0.95, 4, 0.01, 1
Indirect illumination = GI 'on' preset; 02_IR-LC_very fast [for print size]
Color mapping (Vray's magic) Reinhard, multiplier 1, burn 0.4 (low=smooth gentle tones, high=contrast but white blow outs!), Gamma 1.8
- Make regular square area lights nice and BIG in size
- build your scene in actual size as a rule of thumb for correct physical behaviour.

Enough from me. Gotta go.. Any more help needed just let me know.
Cheers.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Please check the Official Vray Forum, you will find a lot of information and help on this topic there
Cheers
Björn

Thread Closed share thread