Baseball Bat problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Baseball Bat problem

I've been working on getting a baseball bat model together, but the cap of this thing is turning out to be way more of a headache than it should be . I started out with a curve that I drew to the profile of the bat, then I revolved it and converted to polys. I want the cap to be very detailed, but I am having a huge issue getting the smooth curve of the bat to line up with the angular details of the cap. I don't know what to smooth and how to keep the hard edges. Here are three screenshots and a reference Thanks!

06 June 2013
I guess you can get sharper edges just by using the knife tool to add more lines on those entrances. Have you tried this yet?
Cheers.

06 June 2013
Make the cap as a separate mesh, just like the real bat.

06 June 2013

The revolve mode work well for that model. I try it. You can calcutate the numbers of sides .. based on your ref it's 20 sides.

Start with the base form of your baseball bat then take the 5 (10 faces if it's 10 sided) faces and extrude them in.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by gtm1260: I don't know what to smooth and how to keep the hard edges. Here are three screenshots and a reference Thanks!
Your edges are too far apart. The closer and tighter they are together, the harder edges you will get when you smooth. You should probably try adding geometry to these spots to see what effect you get.

(I'm relatively new to modeling, so if anyone out there disagrees, please point it out!)

07 July 2013
Solved!!

Wooohooo!!! I finally figured it out, the best feeling! @Scote, your ideas about revolve really helped me! I decided that it would be really difficult to get this to look right with polygons after trying all of the suggestions about adding edges, so I went ahead and tried to make it with curves. I started with a much better curve that included much of the sharp angles at the front, then revolved it. Thanks for the help everyone! I really really appreciated it!

07 July 2013
we are here a help glade to help

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread