Octane for C4D is released!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
I think it will use both GPUs, but only the memory from the smallest card.

04 April 2013
[QUOTE=AntimatterVFX]Most people I've read about who are testing Octane are complaining that the Titan is ridiculously expensive for the 20% performance gain over the 680, instead they're building PCs that can house 2x680s for the same price to get better bang for buck.

Well, that's just not true at all. I've been an Octane convert almost as soon as I rendered something with it last fall. It's an awesome renderer.

We've got machines with quad 680's that post mid 13's in the Octane benchmark. That's with Pathtracing and alpha shadows disabled. My quad Titan machine posts a solid 32 in the same test. That's a good deal more than twice as fast.

Just wanted to set the facts straight about these new cards. The advantages over buying say two 680's are many. It's cheaper, faster, quieter and you only use two slots. What's not to love about that?

Alec

04 April 2013
Octane should use only the 6GBs of VRam from the Titan for it's limit but it will use all Cuda cores. VRam doesn't add unfortunately across multiple GPUs like Cuda cores do. Be sure not to have your GPUs in SLI mode, that improves performance in games, but not render engines.

04 April 2013
Other than the need for a high end graphics card, are there any other downsides to Octane? Certain types of scenes or situations that would give it trouble? Octane almost seems too good to be true.

04 April 2013
Biggest that comes to mind would be memory limitations, since you're limited to the memory available on the video card.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by SilverCity: Other than the need for a high end graphics card, are there any other downsides to Octane? Certain types of scenes or situations that would give it trouble? Octane almost seems too good to be true.

No displacement/texture based supported (yet), so far I didn't see examples of caustics through transparencies/refractions, as well as sss enclosed in glass etc..

Also I wonder if Octane is a "real" unbiased renderer or does it calculate with limitations like path/ray depth maximum settings or similiar.

One downside is the potential memory limit, which you have to be afraid of hitting eventually.

check here as well:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...=frosted+dragon

04 April 2013
Thanks, fluffouille and Mr.Tyler Durden.

I'll have to keep my eye on Octane. It's good to have more, relatively inexpensive, rendering options for C4D users.

04 April 2013
Does anyone here know what the upgrade policy is like after you have bought it?

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by mustardseed: For Octane (compute intensive), the Nvidia Titan has proved to be the hands down winner in terms of price-performance on Windows. I'm just hoping it will be compatible on the Mac.

Titan drivers are in 10.8.4 developer build. Apple have removed drivers in the release version in the past so not cast in stone but for those with deep pockets this might be good news.

This also must hint at a new Mac Pro.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread