switching by softimage to cinema

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
switching by softimage to cinema

Hi,
actually I'm a very not satisfy softimage user about atodesk politics. I love softimage workflow and in this great software existing some tools I addicted too.

Some of this tools are move component tool, fast and easy and efficient snap in modelling side. Also softimage has a great tool called Gator (gator transfer envelop data from a model to another) and a plug-in called Species, very useful (a sort of poser inside softimage, where you can manipulate body shape, select if muscled or skinny, woman, male, fat etc., also the resulting mesh is just complete with rigging, bone with control end weight map). Another great point is the strong viewport, with gygapolygons tecnology can handle a large amount of polygons (can transfer directly from zbrush a dense mesh and edit in softimage).

Actually, I want leave the atodesk boat, I don't want pay more subscription for upgrade I don't need (crowd simulation? Who need?), so I starting looking around. Does cinema has tools similar to softimage?
Excluding motion graphic, what is the main strong point into cinema? Or in others words, why preferring cinema?

I doing, like main occupation, character (real proportion, not cartoon or stylized, and very high detailed, so many objects and a big stress for the viewport) creation and design for protiping, some (simple) animation (but a day not so far I want make some short movie), still image and some illustration.

03 March 2013
i search your post, seems you tried c4d.
Quote: what is the main strong point into cinema? Or in others words, why preferring

Cinema4d is usual cg software.
If you will not like current character tools, you can to purchase Cactus Dan's tools.
Fluids...if not standard or core particles or tp >> x-particles, dpit effex...

Your suggestions are like from young schoolmate or student.
maybe need to use blender

Last edited by ilay : 03 March 2013 at 02:37 PM.

03 March 2013
I share the account with an ex-coworker, now he is away for work in another country. I don't thought he opened a similar discussion about cinema and softimage.

Quote: Your suggestions are like from young schoolmate or student.
maybe need to use blender

flying over of this kind comment, and, however, blender is not (only) a toy for kids or beginners as you suggest

Thanks for your other info.

03 March 2013

ask him, how was c4d?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1072898

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Ciuccio: Hi,
actually I'm a very not satisfy softimage user about atodesk politics. I love softimage workflow and in this great software existing some tools I addicted too.

Some of this tools are move component tool, fast and easy and efficient snap in modelling side. Also softimage has a great tool called Gator (gator transfer envelop data from a model to another) and a plug-in called Species, very useful (a sort of poser inside softimage, where you can manipulate body shape, select if muscled or skinny, woman, male, fat etc., also the resulting mesh is just complete with rigging, bone with control end weight map). Another great point is the strong viewport, with gygapolygons tecnology can handle a large amount of polygons (can transfer directly from zbrush a dense mesh and edit in softimage).

Actually, I want leave the atodesk boat, I don't want pay more subscription for upgrade I don't need (crowd simulation? Who need?), so I starting looking around. Does cinema has tools similar to softimage?
Excluding motion graphic, what is the main strong point into cinema? Or in others words, why preferring cinema?

I doing, like main occupation, character (real proportion, not cartoon or stylized, and very high detailed, so many objects and a big stress for the viewport) creation and design for protiping, some (simple) animation (but a day not so far I want make some short movie), still image and some illustration.

Overall, you might find C4D lacking in some areas (no Species equivalent, really), but strong in others (our rigging tools are very flexible, we have excellent sculpting tools as well and stability/general workflow is a strong point as well).

So, for your needs, you will like:
- our strong Character rigging tools (either the autorig, or manual tools)
- Cmotion (creates cyclic parametric animation, ideal for walk cycles)
- Xpresso (from where Ice's concept comes from - although it is not hyperthreaded, so tends to be slower)
- great weighting tools
- excellent morph system, which can morph pretty much anything you throw at it
- great render engines choices (two internal render engines and a plethora of external ones, including Vray)
- Excellent Hair system
- great sculpting tools, good GoZ exchange if you prefer using Zbrush

Just download the demo and see for yourself if the program will suit your needs.

As far as object handling, C4D struggles with a large amount of objects. It does fine with high resolution objects, though, just don't use 4000 of them (our bottleneck is the Object Manager, not the OGL display).

Last edited by fluffouille : 03 March 2013 at 06:17 PM.

03 March 2013
Fluffouille got it mostly covered, I'll just add for comparison's sake :
- VAMP is an attirbute (weight, UV, morphs...) transfer tool similar to Gator

- If you want Archviz crowd sims similar to "gepetto" (or whatever they call it in the upcoming Max), I've been using Anima from AXYZ design for over a year now. It's fairly priced and comes with quality actors and works a treat with C4D plugin.

- For "poser inside C4D", well no luck, but you can get DAZ Studio anyway and export an FBX or collada file (including bones and morphs) in C4D. You'll need to to the riggin yourself, but your're already halfway there.

- Bodypaint & Projection Man : Don't know if XSI has tools dedicated to 3D painting and matte-painting?

- Sketch and Toon : possibly the best non-realistic renderer for a "drawn" look ?

- Some handy little tools : Camera matching (photo), Motion cameras systems, unmatched After Effects Integration, Alembic support, Volumetric renderer (pyrocluster, though dated)...

- Great plugin scenes for niche things : Nitro4D, Dpit Effex, Turbluence FD, Tools 4D, Blackstar...

- Rock solid stability

- Plenty of Tutorials

What isn't so great with C4D (for balance's sake) :

- Only the Studio version really gets you all of this, and prices have increased significantly so that it's almost as expensive as the AD products. Other versions aren't really worth it in my view (Prime's a bit of a joke, Broadcast and Visualize are decent but lacking certain cool features)

- Working with mocap (retargeting and huge number of keys, FBX support not as good as AD for obvious reasons), No Face-robot

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by EricM: - Working with mocap (retargeting and huge number of keys, FBX support not as good as AD for obvious reasons), No Face-robot

While retargeting sucks (can be done, but a bit of a chore), the thing I forgot to mention was Motion Clips. Love those. Very flexible motion blending system.
We also have animation layers and excellent Xrefs tools (Xrefs can be buggy, though, the system is still recent and because it's so extensive, bugs are still being ironed out).

03 March 2013
Thanks a lot for your detailed post. I downloaded cinema demo and as usual, like every time we are faced with a software different from those which we are accustomed, I have a little confusion. But I saw Cinema has so many tutorials around, and seems to be very popular, I did not thought so, to be honest.

03 March 2013
Hello Ciuccio,
my opinion on this is: it strongly depends in what you want to do/what your aims are.
if you wanna do effects, cinema is the wrong tool in my opinion. for motion/design stuff, it is great.
but from your post i assume you are more the character type of guy. c4d has afaik some decent character tools, but is not the number one character/rigging tool i would say. but since you are willing the leave the autodesk boat, i cant really recommend you a character tool which isnt already swallowed by autodesk...so, just give it a try.

hope this helps,
fuat

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread