Learning 2 disciplines/skills

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2014
Learning 2 disciplines/skills

I decide to take Animation and modeling as my career path in 3D. because i couldn't decide which one to choose. But, not i am not sure how much time or how to organize my time. I want
Animation to be my primarily work most of my time,and modeling to take as second skill. Also i want to Anatomy with Zbrush.

So any advice?

03 March 2014
Choose a software (based on what you want to do, max or maya), learn the sh*t out of it, practice a little, like all day every day for a few years, and boom! You are good enough.
For animation you'll need very good (gesture) drawing skills as well.

03 March 2014
Being a "One-Trick Pony", in my humble opinion, is the quickest way to wind up unemployed.

You focus solely on animation? Well, what if there are no animator jobs available for say 6 - 18 months because the animation industry isn't doing so well financially at that point.

Or maybe you don't get an animator job because they are looking for someone with better animation experience.

Knowing 3D modeling well (and preferably also some lighting/shading/rendering) might help you get some kind of employment, somewhere, in this kind of situation.

You may also wind up in a situation where the only paid work available is as a 3D generalist (= you do everything from modeling to animation to rendering and compositing yourself), or as part of a small 3D team.

In that scenario, knowing multiple aspects of 3D work will help greatly.

By all means, become a Pro at rigging & animation. But don't let that stop you from exploring other aspects of CG.

You newer know when you might need the other CG skills...

My 2 Cents..

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by artsyboy: Being a "One-Trick Pony", in my humble opinion, is the quickest way to wind up unemployed.

Another way of saying one-trick pony is "master". Although I have seen people weather job outages by having other skills, I also see that the people who consistently stay on a project are the ones that excel at what they do.

Back to the question at hand: One approach you should think about is how to use one skill to assist in another. Maybe your knowledge of ZBrush and how to get a character from it modeled and into your app of choice can be part of what you can offer a company looking to hire you. Admittedly that's a weak suggestion, but I can use myself as an example. I use my texturing skillset to assist with the final rendering. That's a little hard to explain without going into several paragraphs of detail so I'll put it this way: I often use Photoshop to solve rendering problems.

reply share thread