Sci Fi Corridors / Environments - Size Maps Question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Sci Fi Corridors / Environments - Size Maps Question

Usually my personal art works are portraits and I always go with 4K maps size, high res.

However, I am changing my art direction to Sci Fi Corridors / Environments still images and wondering if 4k is really needed, since the majority of the textures I see are 1k.

Since this is the first time I'm going into that direction, and disregarding what software I use, what map size should I aim for? What should I be aware / concern when making this sort of arts?

I would love to hear your opinion on this.
Thank you for any directions, tips and suggestions.

This is one quick test I did, just dipping the toe on the water.

01 January 2013
If you plan on a static piece and not a dynamic one, or one with camera motions, then you can do just fine by having texture maps that are the size in which they become displayed on the sceen.
if you render HD1080 and you have a door that takes up 800x800 pixels, then go for a 1024x1024..

if you plan to render at triple the resolution of HD then having a 4k map may work out better.

you can use a 4k map for a smaller render, but remember that the computer will have to decide which of those texels will be the final pixel color.
and that process can either work out, or create awkward artifacts.

some software packages have ways to filter incoming files to avoid artifacts. Maya has a mental ray elliptical filter that really helps smooth textures out from nearly any distance.

but consider this like photoshop.. if you take a jpg (8bit) and scale it from 1k to 512x512 with the free transform tool, the computer has to decide what color is needs to become out of now four pixels...(approximately) either it can blur between them and give you a softer result.. or you can use 32bit file textures/ work in 32 bit mode. and the transform will have way more to work off of (like decimal points for color values)

3d software is the same way. so it isnt JUST the file size that can give artifacts, but file type too. AND in the example of maya, youll need your renderer to be set to 32 bit as well.

In conclusion:
Depending on your personal workflow, it may be simple to just choose file texture sizes that are closest without going under to the screen space the subject will take up.

But there are other things to consider if you begin to notice artifacting, blurring, or moire patterns.

bit depth, and file filtering help prevent these artifacts.

Hope that helps.

01 January 2013
Hello EdgeIcon,

Thank you so much for taking the time in explaining in such details.

I was thinking after making the corridor, to do a fly in camera, for that, perhaps I should aim for a 2k map for safe side. I'm thinking to render around 2000px x 1000px.

Really appreciated.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread