Polygroups-->Auto Groups Not Working

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Polygroups-->Auto Groups Not Working

I'm trying to import an .obj from maya that has multiple pieces that I can use with polygroups to isolate each piece. When I import the .obj, as expected, it comes in as one solid piece. Breaking it into subtools works fine (using subtool-->split-->split to parts) but I want to use polygroups so that the pieces can be transformed together and so that I can use the ctrl+shift+click hotkeys to easily swap the visibility between them. When I click on polygroups-->Auto Groups it doesn't do anything.

I've tried several way of exporting an .obj from maya For example, I have three spheres in maya, each intersecting the other about 20%. I've tried selecting them all and exporting, combining them and exporting, and i've tried turning "groups" on and off in maya's .obj export option dialogue for both methods. Is there something i'm missing here?

The process is mentioned pretty clearly in the book, "Zbrush Character Creation: Advanced Digital Sculpting", which I've been following, so I am at a loss as to why this isn't working.

12 December 2012
the reason its not working because you split them and now your trying to auto group 1 subtool.
merge them and try again.

if you can split them then they should all ready have there own groups when you imported,
so you really dont need to do any thing once imported to use the ctrl+shift+click
if it still does not work then dont split them, just Auto Groups them.
turn on polyframes to see what your doing Shift+F

Last edited by informerman : 12 December 2012 at 02:40 AM.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread