Vray for Maya Linear Workflow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
maybe vlado can clarify whether that recent build addresses all issues with the LWF toggle.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Buzert: That was a great read and answered all of my questions.

I feel like I'm going to hijack the thread but I see you've had your answers questioned and I don't think CGTalk needs another linear workflow thread.

But:

What are you supposed to do with a wide gammut monitor?

I'm using a DELL U2410 and just have it on the Adobe 1998 preset (tried calibration but it created a funny profile which is too much hassle).

Am I supposed to:

1) Change Windows 7 Color Management to Adobe 1998
2) Change Photoshop to "Monitor Color" with Adobe 1998
3) Use VRay Framebuffer with Adobe 1998 loaded as the ICC profile?

I tried different combinations of the above but can never ever get the same result between V-Ray Framebuffer and Photoshop. It's slightly off with the greens and blues usually. I've had enough!

08 August 2012
I found this site a while ago here. There is a section on Wide Gamut monitors (see Default Profile Concept section) and I think you want to check out the Worst Bad Advice section (that looks like what you are doing with your settings in step 1 & 2). I would do two things before you do anything else:

1) Calibrate the monitor properly (this profile is what Windows should be set to in Color Management). Try using dispcal - see their about page as they have a method for dealing with wide gamut monitors that seems to work.

2) Review the Photoshop\Color Settings\Color Management Policies. See the Foolproof Photoshop Color Settings section of the link I posted. Basically you want to Preserve Embedded profiles for all and check each box.

Also, make sure you don't have something weird setup in the Proof settings in Photoshop.

There are a lot of other variables like how you assigning the profile or are you converting to the profile, also the rendering intent, etc. I had a play with the Vray Frame Buffer color corrections ICC slot (never used that before, always just used sRGB or used the curve/exposure) and loaded in AdobeRGB but I didn't see anything happen, nor was my saved image tagged. Maybe someone else knows the workflow for making the frame buffer actually display the profile and save the image with it, I only looked for a sec. I guess I can't speak to exactly why the color is different in the Vray Frame Buffer vs. Photoshop (too many variables) but I don't you are going to get consistent color until you profile the monitor and make some of the changes in the link I posted.

-Nick

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by cgbeige: maybe vlado can clarify whether that recent build addresses all issues with the LWF toggle.

I posted over on the Chaos Group forum - will post back if I hear anything.

-N

08 August 2012
Hey Nick,
Yep sometimes I clamp usually when you have issues with antialiasing in reflection with values that are too high I also sometimes I have to use subpixel mapping to get rid of those nasty edges, in addition to that, the value in high dynamic range needs more computing power and most of the time renders takes longer ....

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Hamburger: I feel like I'm going to hijack the thread but I see you've had your answers questioned and I don't think CGTalk needs another linear workflow thread.

But:

What are you supposed to do with a wide gammut monitor?

I'm using a DELL U2410 and just have it on the Adobe 1998 preset (tried calibration but it created a funny profile which is too much hassle).

Am I supposed to:

1) Change Windows 7 Color Management to Adobe 1998
2) Change Photoshop to "Monitor Color" with Adobe 1998
3) Use VRay Framebuffer with Adobe 1998 loaded as the ICC profile?

I tried different combinations of the above but can never ever get the same result between V-Ray Framebuffer and Photoshop. It's slightly off with the greens and blues usually. I've had enough!

that's why I've been avoiding wide-gamut screens. Wish I could help but I'm holding onto these sRGB NEC 2490 WUXi screens for a while.

08 August 2012
Thanks, Nicholas for the info.

Quote: that's why I've been avoiding wide-gamut screens. Wish I could help but I'm holding onto these sRGB NEC 2490 WUXi screens for a while.

It's appalling at the lack of color management that is available, 2012 and even cutting edge software like Chrome isn't color managed.

Dealing with Photographs is fine though, it is very simple. It just seems cg images are the nightmare.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by SePu: Hey Nick,
Yep sometimes I clamp usually when you have issues with antialiasing in reflection with values that are too high I also sometimes I have to use subpixel mapping to get rid of those nasty edges, in addition to that, the value in high dynamic range needs more computing power and most of the time renders takes longer ....

Hi SePu,

Good to know and thanks for the info. Your explanation for LWF is great BTW, thanks for sharing it.

-N

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by nbreslow: I am not sure if any of you follow the Vray nightly builds but I saw something in one of the most recent release notes that may be relevant here:

Not sure if this makes it viable yet as a part of setting up ones LWF but I remembered it when reading through these posts. As it is part of the nightly builds the current documentation won't help but if anyone tests this new behavior out please post back what you find (I will do the same).

-Nick

FYI - As per Vlado on the Chaos Group boards the change has been rolled back due to problems it caused.

-Nick

08 August 2012
a few more questions just popped into my mind.

Do I colour correct colour nodes that are black and white? I have this all white room and it's currently .850 white. If it renders blown out I want to make sure that I know if it's the fault of the lighting or material.

If I'm using reflection and refraction do there default white colour nodes have to be gamma corrected? CORRECTION: I just did a test and gamma correcting a B&W reflection or refraction make no difference.

As a result of doing that test a question entered my mind; what is the difference between increasing the reflection/refraction by using the colour slider or amound slider?

Last edited by Buzert : 08 August 2012 at 09:28 PM.

08 August 2012
It should be the same. Basically if you transfer amount to color, an amount of 0 is 100% black and an amount of 1 is 100% white. In MR the miaX starts out with a white color in the reflection and 0.6 (60%) in amount.

Keep in mind that the amount cannot take color into consideration (you can map a colored image to it, but it will internally convert it into greyscale values).
But you can texture / color the color of reflections/refractions if you wanted something like colored glass or copper for example. R

Remember anything that is not 100% white or black needs to have a gamma node or vray texture input gamma applied. You could potentially just eyeball the color as long as you are aware that it the color you choose will render brighter.

The above mentioned also goes for the refractions.

08 August 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread