Reset trailer blurs the line between CG and real-time rendering

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by michibe: I wonder what kind of graphic its needs nowadays to impress people. are we all so fed up with superlatives that its boring?

I still think this trailer is awesome and would like to know more about the tech behind.

There is a certain type of individual that thrives on criticising anything, because they (erroneously) believe it makes them look distinguished.

Nice work on that trailer!

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: There is a certain type of individual that thrives on criticising anything, because they (erroneously) believe it makes them look distinguished.

Nice work on that trailer!

True for most part, but games are more than just shiny visuals, like movies are more than just big visual effects sequences. Personally, I was impressed by the trailer, more so after learning it's just a two man team behind the effort.

That said, I think people would be more impressed if they saw the gameplay trailer.

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: There is a certain type of individual that thrives on criticising anything, because they (erroneously) believe it makes them look distinguished.

What a trolling. I watch game development for 8 years closely, and also work in CG. I can actually make claims on this matter.

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by mister3d: What a trolling. I watch game development for 8 years closely, and also work in CG. I can actually make claims on this matter.

Good for you! But why are you giving me your CV? Did you somehow feel personally affronted by my observation? Because that would be quite telling.

04 April 2012
Wink

Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Good for you! But why are you giving me your CV? Did you somehow feel personally affronted by my observation? Because that would be quite telling.

I can tell you that first shadows, and then reflections is what to improve in game engines. For now, they look fake and it what immediately differs it from rendered stuff. I know it's Friday and you're tired as I am, nice try.

04 April 2012
The trailer looks just fantastic to me. Not just for being a realtime engine but for the art direction and storytelling.

I think it's true we are used to great visuals, but we have to take in count where it comes from too. There is much more merit to these 2 ex-Futuremark guys than Crytek, EA, Activision big budgeted studiios.

I loved the care and slow paced timing of this trailer, and didn't dislike anything of it. I don't expect any movie-like big action choreographed scenes from the game (for now, at least), but something similar to Portal will be great too.

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by jesped: The trailer looks just fantastic to me. Not just for being a realtime engine but for the art direction and storytelling.
I loved the care and slow paced timing of this trailer, and didn't dislike anything of it.

QFA.

Great atmosphere in the trailer and the rain shots looked really nice. And from the blog:

Quote: Everything you see in the trailer is straight from the in-game engine, no up-ressed textures, geometry or effects. What you see is what you will get.

I'm not a gamer but I guess that means that the trailer stuff is not pre-rendered but uses real time in-game footage?

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by noizFACTORY: I'm not a gamer but I guess that means that the trailer stuff is not pre-rendered but uses real time in-game footage?

Does it? Or does it mean that they used all in-game assets and then rendered it, rather than using realtime rendering?

Quote: Everything you see in the trailer is straight from the in-game engine, no up-ressed textures, geometry or effects

Doesn't say
Quote: Everything you see in the trailer is the in-game engine, no up-ressed textures, geometry or effects

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by halo: Does it? Or does it mean that they used all in-game assets and then rendered it, rather than using realtime rendering?

Doesn't say

Semantics aside, I really don't have an idea and hence a "?" at the end of my post. Would be great if the devs shared more information on their blog.

Last edited by noizFACTORY : 05 May 2012 at 07:52 AM.

05 May 2012
love it!
it beats Crytech if you ask me in the feel of the camera (depth of field, focus..) and the atmosphere is awesome..
Loved the rain stuff...

brilliant

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by -SD-: You're welcome.

I wanted to share because I think this is a milestone in PC graphics and an example of the quality of how PC games should look nowadays.

In all honesty, that was a pretty simple scene they showed. I'll reserve my final judgment for when the game is out and you can actually see things moving around with this kind of detail, but honestly, I wasn't that impressed. Most of this stuff has already been done and can be done fairly easily as far as this stuff goes. The time-lapse trees growing looked absolutely awful IMO.

As far as "pre-rendered", that can mean a lot of things. Does this mean that none of the textures were baked onto the models, or does it just mean that the scene itself wasn't pre-rendered? With so little detail on what we are actually seeing it's hard to be impressed by it.

05 May 2012
It's the fidelity, not the amount of stuff flying around on screen that makes this look like CG, these guys really deserve praise for having done some incredible work.

I remember one of the first CG films I saw, back when shadows only came in pure solid black and were hard edge raytraced, it had beautifully animated stylised raindrops which successfully emulated that wonderful feeling of standing in the rain. Attention to detail for such a vital element of immersion, each drop and impact was hand animated, not a particle effect.

This is the first time I've seen realtime graphics hit that mark, and now it looks real.

I hope the game itself has the same atmosphere and isn't just another "bangbangbang.." sound effect on loop from opening to closing credits of the game.

05 May 2012
I love the visual quality. Though, I agree that this is basically a small amount of shots seen from different angles. There's not a ton going on here story-wise. But I love the atmosphere and the rain shots. The robot model looks like they spent quite a bit of time on it. I also really like their treatment of the on-screen graphics... they are futuristic but keep the "command-line" display idea, which is very cool and feels very realistic. I like the internal boot-up sequence. That's actually one of my favorite parts. So many movies and shorts do these crazy looking on-screen graphics, when there's really no evidence or real-life direction that they will end up looking like that in the future.

A robot booting back up, an overgrown forgotten city... not the most original thing for me personally. I wish we would have seen some other type of movement at the end, like the robots eyes or head coming to life, versus a quick/weird movement of the hand.

Overall looks pretty cool, immersive, quite real and believable . I'm definitely interested to see more.

05 May 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread