Crysis fans create stunning screenshots

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2009
Bottom left looks like a publisher screenshot: "Lets show off a mediocre gun model with the hands not even connected to it." The rest are pretty awesome though.

03 March 2009
its just some good texture work

I mean it looks good and all, but its pretty much all baked data and every 'shot' is taken in the same outdoor conditions.

I dont think we can get the quality we are used to get from off line renderers in realtime yet. Especially not the flexability and ease of use.

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: its just some good texture work

I mean it looks good and all, but its pretty much all baked data and every 'shot' is taken in the same outdoor conditions.

I dont think we can get the quality we are used to get from off line renderers in realtime yet. Especially not the flexability and ease of use.

there are a lot of different conditions within the game. there's a day setting, a night setting, fogged scenes, snow landscapes, indoors, a spaceship, etc. it all looks good regardless of setting. ( the spaceship stuff is pretty freakin' spectacular too )

these games have shaders that react very much like actual shaders in our 3d applications, and real time lights. its not all prebaked to look good under just one situation. there is a reason why there are things like spec maps, normal maps, illumination models ( like a fake subsurface scattering shader on characters. )

03 March 2009
Yes, i know the game does look good and the lighting does look different depending the time of day... The original game does still look verry CG though.
I was more talking about the photo realism of these shots. Some of them look great indeedbut if you look at the better screenshots, like the one on the lower right, its all about photographic textures (theres isnt even much rendered specularity going on) and the ambient occlussion is verry blurred out.
Put in some shiny metal objects with lots of details or some artificial tube lights and it will suddenly lose a lot of its realism

03 March 2009
doesnt matter though, because some of those conditions that you see games failing in, software rendered cg fails in the same areas in general. most cg landscapes still sort of suck today, unless they are heavily backed by matte paintings. considering that game is realtime, it does wonders, and as soon as john carmack works up his geometry stuff into a future engine like he said he would, and others follow suit, we will get a lot more realism out of landscape scenes.

03 March 2009
hm i dont really agree there but maybe you. Software rendered cg isnt always perfect but it still works far better then realtime cg.

Yes, carmack is cooking up some great tech. The giga textures thingy sounds nice too.

03 March 2009
Arrow

ambient-whisper, I think you are right that shaders can do wonders but still, even in pre-rendered CG, illumination and shadowing are as important as materials, and games don't have that much in that side yet because it's harder to fake, unless it's prerendered.

Nevertheless, on the other side I think crysis and crytek engine are totally underrated and have been underused.

03 March 2009
Does anyone here know exactly how to get this level of quality in-game?

These screenshots remind me a lot of the early in-game screenshots that were circulating the internet, and then the game came out and didn't look nearly as good. I've got a decent computer, everything is set to very high and it still doesn't look half as good as these.

Am I right in assuming there's a lot of config file tweaking going on behind the scenes?

Nevertheless, they look stunning.

03 March 2009
Crysis really blew me away. After seeing these images I re-installed it and added the tod mod. When you're in the thick of it - the lighting, the moblur, the physics...it's all *very good* and sucks you into that reality. The immersion achieved in Crysis is better than any other FPS (IMO), and I've played them all. I would love someobody to make a mod with some combine soldiers dropped into one of these jungles and give me a crowbar to swing around with 'maximum strength'...

-Greg

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by Pyke: In regards to real time renders of that quality, we must realize that those models look that good in that engine cos they are optimized for that engine. Ive seen some mod's done for crysis that have fantastic models-but don't look even CLOSE to as good as the models provided in the actual game.
What Im saying is they didn't model, import, and it looked good...they probably went through 100 iterations of each plant, rock, character, vehicle, etc, in all levels of detail to get it there.
One of the reasons most custom models don't look as good as models that come with the game is because they don't have the same caliber artists working on them and they don't have the art direction it takes to make them look really great. Modders also aren't as familiar with the restrictions and requirements of the engine as the artists who worked on the game, at least most of the time, so they might not be aware of polygon/shader/texture uses the artists who worked on the game were aware of.

The people who worked on the original game almost certainly did hundreds of tests and revisions when working out how to do certain models and textures like rocks and trees, but I'm sure they eventually built up large reference folders and libraries of relevant information regarding how certain things are made so they didn't have to do "100 iterations" just to get a simple rock or tree looking good in-game.

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by MickyG: Does anyone here know exactly how to get this level of quality in-game?

These screenshots remind me a lot of the early in-game screenshots that were circulating the internet, and then the game came out and didn't look nearly as good. I've got a decent computer, everything is set to very high and it still doesn't look half as good as these.

They were probably done with the screenshot function. Yo can set a crazy resolution like 5k x 5k and it'll also increase the sampling and so on - so technically, they're not 'really' realtime, cause you still send a call to the render engine and it'll do its thing for you instead of just walking around with 30 fps and taking a screenie.

03 March 2009
Originally Posted by MickyG: Does anyone here know exactly how to get this level of quality in-game?

Am I right in assuming there's a lot of config file tweaking going on behind the scenes?

Nevertheless, they look stunning.

You can find lots af tweaks and mods at the www.crymod.com forums.
You'll still need a fast card though...

03 March 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread