MCG Loop with current index and value

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Swordslayer: Also when deciding, take into account the cost of immutability when operating on any moderately complex type like a mesh - i.e. every MCG node that does something to a mesh returns a new independent copy of the input mesh. Unless you take that into account (and not just for mesh), you're in for a nasty performance surprise. Now, immutability is really nice and makes it easier to reason about what's going on, it's just that sometimes, that's not without a cost.
Actually I'm not a professional programmer, So I prefer to use existing functionality within Max, especially when I want to work on performance. So what about this pipeline which is in middle:
Using scripted plugin directly.
Exposing some MCG functions which are faster to MaxScript (for example mesh functions).
Writing some new functions in CSharp and load them in assembly + some WPF custom controls may used for drawing in UI.

1 Week Ago
To tell the truth, that sounds extremely complicated and error prone (plus MCG operations are faster on MCG triMesh, you have to create that from max mesh and then create max mesh from it and set it again; in the process you lose explicit normals, vertex data etc). Pick one approach and try not to mix them; and if you decide to mix them, benchmark a lot, you might find out in the end the speed advantage is lost on translations from mxs to dotnet objects and back.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Swordslayer: To tell the truth, that sounds extremely complicated and error prone (plus MCG operations are faster on MCG triMesh, you have to create that from max mesh and then create max mesh from it and set it again; in the process you lose explicit normals, vertex data etc). Pick one approach and try not to mix them; and if you decide to mix them, benchmark a lot, you might find out in the end the speed advantage is lost on translations from mxs to dotnet objects and back.
The more I research about MCG, I find that there is big jump from 2017 to 2018, many operators are completely new. I think they finally changed "What we can do" with "What we should do". There are many operators that never used in any tutorials, but i think we can make very creative thing with them(based on their name and description) .

1 Week Ago
OT: so is Martin Coven steering the MCG ship right now ?

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by vusta: OT: so is Martin Coven steering the MCG ship right now ?

No idea who's in charge of MCG (Autodesk is not exactly transparent, who can name the current 3ds max Product manager off the top of their head, for example?), last I knowMartin Coven worked on fluids.

1 Week Ago
Now I have two main problem with MCG:
We have limitation in inputs, for example we can not create curvecontrol.
We can not control event handlers for example on "Load" event.

reply share thread