Resident Evil: Retribution Opens to $71.1M Worldwide

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  09 September 2012
Originally Posted by evolucian: Of courses nothing changes. Action movies are marketed to boys and men. Not girls and women.

Male characters are portrayed as such because the audience relates to the fact that they can step into the lead's shoes and be that hero somehow in a MacGyver type of way. "Wish i could do that"

Female characters cannot get a "Wish i could do that" from a male audience no matter what they do or how smart their characters are. They have to rely on things that women can "sell" to men. In an action flick, you're left with sexy outfits, limber acrobatics and explosions with sweaty women walking away.

Why do you think Michael Bay does so well. You give him a $10000 budget and he'll still be able to add two more 0's to that figure in revenue. He knows and plays the audience.

As for making an action flick with a "smart" female lead, that'll happen as soon as the majority of the action film audience is women.

I have no idea what you are talking about, when Lara Croft enters the scene and kick ass I get just as excited :P. Salt was quite a good movie with a very strong female lead.
  share thread