Resident Evil: Retribution Opens to $71.1M Worldwide

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Resident Evil: Retribution Opens to $71.1M Worldwide

WTH....

Quote:
"The ComingSoon.net Box Office Report has been updated with studio estimates for the weekend. Click here for the full box office estimates of the top 12 films and then check back on Monday for the final figures based on actual box office.

Milla Jovovich returned as Alice in
Resident Evil: Retribution and the fifth installment topped the domestic box office with an estimated $21.1 million. The Screen Gems release opened in 3,012 theaters and averaged $7,005 per site. Made for $65 million, the movie earned another $50 million overseas from 50 territories for a worldwide total of $71.1 million. The previous film, Resident Evil: Afterlife, took in $26.7 million domestically and $39 million internationally its first weekend. IMAX theaters accounted for $6.1 million of "Retribution's" total worldwide with $3 million coming from domestic locations and $3.1 million from overseas."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movi...94855&offset=10
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

09 September 2012
Wink gun babe sells

Gun Babe sells.

And I'm sure including Li Bing Bing (?) helps Asean market. She was here in Malaysia to promote the film.

I guess there will be more RE to come.

09 September 2012
The "female-lead action movies don´t sell" camp is running out of excuses.

09 September 2012
I am amazed it even scored that high with this being like the fifth installment of the series. When did zombies grow worms in their mouths as extra mandibles?

Great Ideas be praised.

09 September 2012
Its not an action film in the same vein as a Bruce Willis or Steven Seagal movie where the action lead is almost the entire draw. I think they tried that with Long Kiss Goodnight and Cutthroat Island but havent really made an effort since.
This is more like an Alien movie but with a more obvious t and a element.

09 September 2012
No accounting for taste I guess...

09 September 2012
Unhappy interesting

Originally Posted by kelgy: Its not an action film in the same vein as a Bruce Willis or Steven Seagal movie where the action lead is almost the entire draw. I think they tried that with Long Kiss Goodnight and Cutthroat Island but havent really made an effort since.
This is more like an Alien movie but with a more obvious t and a element.

From Long Kiss Goodnight Wikipedia, bold mine:

" She is stripped down to her slip, bra, and panties, bound with rope by her hands and feet to a waterwheel, and repeatedly lowered into ice cold water until near drowning. During this process, her real identity fully resurfaces she, kills Daedelus, escapes, kills his henchmen, and frees Hennessy."

I think the element was obvious even back then.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: I am amazed it even scored that high with this being like the fifth installment of the series. When did zombies grow worms in their mouths as extra mandibles?

Great Ideas be praised.

That was one of the things they used from the video games

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: When did zombies grow worms in their mouths as extra mandibles?

Something they lifted from Resident Evil 4 the game. Instead of zombies they went with parasitic implants with an end-of-the-world cult built up around it. Pretty cool idea in the game.

What surprised me looking at the trailer was just how much they keep referring back to the games, that had to be Wesker. Last one I saw was the 2nd movie but I expect Hollywood to know best and ignore the source material.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia: The "female-lead action movies don´t sell" camp is running out of excuses.

To be fair, if the female lead was unnattractive or even just of average looks, the film probably wouldn't have done as well. The fact that she's in a skin tight outfit showing off her body sells it. The posters don't sell her as a zombie fighting heroine, they sell her as a bimbo with a gun.

And before anyone says that male leads are always attractive too - they aren't. Male leads rely on wit, intelligence, courage, bravery, charm and other positive attributes for appeal. Women have to rely on their tits, arses and faces.

Sigh. Nothing changes.

09 September 2012
That's because the Movie SHALLOW HAL was actually a documentary based on all MALES, and a true story too!

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by leigh: To be fair, if the female lead was unnattractive or even just of average looks, the film probably wouldn't have done as well. The fact that she's in a skin tight outfit showing off her body sells it. The posters don't sell her as a zombie fighting heroine, they sell her as a bimbo with a gun.

And before anyone says that male leads are always attractive too - they aren't. Male leads rely on wit, intelligence, courage, bravery, charm and other positive attributes for appeal. Women have to rely on their tits, arses and faces.

Sigh. Nothing changes.

Was that a crit or a reality check?

09 September 2012
Neither really. Just my thoughts on the matter.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by leigh: To be fair, if the female lead was unnattractive or even just of average looks, the film probably wouldn't have done as well. The fact that she's in a skin tight outfit showing off her body sells it. The posters don't sell her as a zombie fighting heroine, they sell her as a bimbo with a gun.

Sigh. Nothing changes.

Of courses nothing changes. Action movies are marketed to boys and men. Not girls and women.

Male characters are portrayed as such because the audience relates to the fact that they can step into the lead's shoes and be that hero somehow in a MacGyver type of way. "Wish i could do that"

Female characters cannot get a "Wish i could do that" from a male audience no matter what they do or how smart their characters are. They have to rely on things that women can "sell" to men. In an action flick, you're left with sexy outfits, limber acrobatics and explosions with sweaty women walking away.

Why do you think Michael Bay does so well. You give him a $10000 budget and he'll still be able to add two more 0's to that figure in revenue. He knows and plays the audience.

As for making an action flick with a "smart" female lead, that'll happen as soon as the majority of the action film audience is women.

09 September 2012
Wink

Originally Posted by evolucian: As for making an action flick with a "smart" female lead, that'll happen as soon as the majority of the action film audience is women.

I don't think so. Too long to write, and there are researches done into this (and some of them are secretly, since pointing out a gender to be this and that is politically incorrect), and also observation by many. But general rule is this:

Ever looked at women magazine? what posted at front? what are being pushed? what type of articles being included? They are targeted toward woman.

http://www.amazon.com/Decoding-Wome...e/dp/0312079710

http://incurablycurious.com/2012/07...tyle-magazines/

Too tired to google more, but you get the idea.

and some here:

http://vagendamag.blogspot.co.uk/20...out-tampon.html

13%? You don't make profit focusing on the 13%.

Last edited by fablefox : 09 September 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: more link:

Thread Closed share thread