Boolean Problem - the object disappears

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
Boolean Problem - the object disappears

I am trying to boolean a heavy model with a cube to get the intersection. The boolean does not work and the object disappears after the operation. Any hints? 

many thanks

Last edited by cyberctrl : 01 January 2018 at 09:50 PM.
  01 January 2018
Maya's native boolean tool is very basic and simple, and will only work on basic and simple models.

For a more robust boolean solution, dig around the Internet for scripts. I can't recall the names of the good ones but you should be able to find some free stuff out there.
Commodore 64 @ 1MHz
1541 Floppy Drive

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."
  01 January 2018
what is your maya version?
the latest maya boolean algorithm are working much better than before. 
  01 January 2018
infernalDarkness thats not true for maya 2016 and up... they integreated the carve boolean algorithm same as blender... if you have a mesh that wont bool in maya 2018 send it to me please...
  02 February 2018

many thanks everyone for the response and the hints. Sorry for late post but I have been trying many different things.  Finally I got the boolean to work. I am using MAYA 2018 and the boolean functions are really solid indeed. The problem was that my model had holes, I managed to fix it very easily with meshmixer and the boolean in MAYA works perfectly! Thanks 

*Btw now I am using a PC with 64GB Ram - When I posted this I was working with 16GB Ram. Does this play any role with the success (not the speed) of the boolean function?

Last edited by cyberctrl : 02 February 2018 at 01:18 PM.
reply share thread