Old House, Essam Helmy (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2004
Old House, Essam Helmy (3D)

Title: Old House
Name: Essam Helmy
Software: 3d Studio Max And Photoshop

this is my first attempt to try to make a complex material.
The texture was painted using photoshop and rendered using mental ray in 3d studio max 6.
any c&c are welcome

08 August 2004
nice work ya man

the lightis very cool so is the modeling but i think the textures needs some extra work
and i mean realy extra work

keep on working

08 August 2004
hum... did you show it to Juan Siquier?

08 August 2004
Originally Posted by El Rafo: hum... did you show it to Juan Siquier?

My first thought when I saw this was "Is this an old WIP from Juan Siquier?".

Seriously though, frozen_sun_2004, if you base your work on someone elses, then simply give credit in the post. That way, you won't get flamed.

Most people that frequent this forum will be familiar with Juan's work, and I'm sure they will agree that he is one of the best and most consistent artists here. Also, most people here will know instantly that this image is based on this: http://www.juansiquier.com/images/dbt_cafe_1600.jpg

Give credit to he original artist and everyone will be happy.

Mark

08 August 2004
I think I have seen another render of the same street corner somewhere here on CG Talk http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=street

Maybe it's a school assignement?

08 August 2004
Originally Posted by funchski:
Give credit to he original artist and everyone will be happy.

Mark

There is no need to give credit to anyone since this is obviously an ORIGINAL image just INSPIRED by another great work.

Most everybody is inspired by great and famous artists when they create their images, even if they are conscient or not. Iīve seen here great works clearly inspired by faous paintings or renderings which donīt recive any credit... and itīs not a fault.

Usin other works as REFERENCE is a great way to learn and to improve your skills as an artist.

Frozen Sun: Good job done here I think you should work a bit on textures and lighting. Good work!!

08 August 2004
Clarification

Guillermo, I suggest that you re-read my entire post.
I have no problem with copying an image or using it for reference, as this is, as you say (and I agree), a great way to improve your skills.
The only issue I have, (which I think I put across reasonably politely) is that If you do use another artists work as REFERENCE rather than INSPIRATION (the two are very different) then it is only polite to credit the original artist.
If you compare this image with Juan's you will see that it is somewhat more than inspired by Juan's.

In summary:

FROZEN_SUN:
Nice image.
The textures are a little flat and could do with a little more work (higher resolution perhaps?).
Lighting is quite good, but as with the textures, it could do with a little more work.

Guillermo:
I see that you are from Spain, so perhaps you misunderstood the point I was making in my previous post.
I was simply saying that this image is very similar to an image by Juan Siquier and that he should give credit where it is due. I made no accusations of plagiarism, and I didn't flame him.

Apologies if my last post was interpreted as a flame, I was only trying to advise on etiquette.

Mark.

08 August 2004
Originally Posted by funchski:
Apologies if my last post was interpreted as a flame, I was only trying to advise on etiquette.

Mark.

Hey Mark, you are right I should have read better your post Itīs my fault, sorry.

Yeah, maybe he should have mentioned Juan here...

Cheers!

08 August 2004
Guillermo, no problem.

I'm glad this didn't start a flame war.

Mark.

08 August 2004
Maybe its similiar since Juan published a tutorial for this building and frozen may followed it....

Credits are fine but not everything should be credited... Or do you give credits to ikea cos they build the chair you sitting on while rendering? ;-) He could write "based on a tutorial by juan... link" but there is no need.

08 August 2004
thanx guys for your comments.
it's ve been a pleasure for me to take joan's pic as a reference (sorry i forgot to mention that) as he is one of my favourite artists.
thanx again guys for your c&c's and tis wonderful talking

"Ecliposs
3ala fekra, 2ana 3arfak.
wa7ed sa7by beykalemny kteer 3anak, 2esmo 7atem yehia men arabcg
ana sha3'al ma3ah fel co.
Shokran 3ala el kalam el gameel da"

09 September 2004
About the credits and stuff like that... the image is absolutely based on the DBTīs Café of Juan Siquier.

My critique, take care with positioning lights, distance to objetive... and such things, you will get more realistic distortion of shadows.

There is certaing leak of texture resolution, and you will probably get better results using more desaturated textures.

One tip more, never let the lightning model of the shader (blinn.. phong..etc) do all the work. There are multiple texture channels in 3dsmax. Use it wisely.

PS: watch out for tiling while texturing!

keep the work going, and soon you will get really nice architectural visualizations.

09 September 2004
Hello guys, don't worry for that.
I love so see that my DBT Cafe is used as inspitation, but I find appropriate to mention it.
Good luck

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread