Coloring form shadow.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2005
Coloring form shadow.

I know there is a parameter for changing the color of shadow. But it affects only for cast shadow. What's the best, I mean most general used, way for coloring form shadow?

I can color it on compositing software later. But I saw the demo of Renderman running on OSX. That renderman was rendering whole scene in one render, which means they don't use compositing software....?? (no way)

I can also put bounce light to emulate blue bounce light from the sky or whatever. But I have to put a lot of lights.

Please give me hints or the way works for you.
  03 March 2005
Renderman can output various secondary passes when it renders the main primary pass. So you can definately use your compositing software for that. Personally i'd do the shadows as a separate render, and just render them on their own, ie white shadows on a black background. You can then colour them or change their alue in your compositing package.
  03 March 2005
Colors in shadows come from the fill light. Outdoor shadows have usually a blue tint, due to sky acting as a giant fill light. Same thing in cg, best way to color shadows is adding colored fill lights, like a lightdome or skylight (or just a few well placed lights, depends on situation) for outdoor scenes.
"Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced" - F. Herbert
10 CGChallenge entry

Last edited by azazel : 03 March 2005 at 01:01 PM.
  03 March 2005
Originally Posted by jdexforwords: I can also put bounce light to emulate blue bounce light from the sky or whatever. But I have to put a lot of lights.

You're on the right track. Colored bounce lights are the more natural way to add color to your shadow. As alternatives to adding a lot of bounce lights, people sometimes use image based lighting to create fill light from a dome environment surrounding the scene, or use global illumination if you can afford the render time.

I think every company uses compositing software for some things, but you'd be amazed what some people manage to render all in one pass.

Jeremy Birn
Author, Digital Lighting & Rendering, 3rd Edition
  03 March 2005
Thank you guys. Now I'm thinking what kind of light is appropriate for bouncing light.
  03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread