Old 02-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #166
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airflow
I think the best thing thats happened is Frank DeLise. Tbh, 3dsmax is central to that guy and I think he will do what it takes to continue making max better for the users as opposed to just doing something every year to get us to keep paying

The funny thing is that Frank was actually on the Maya team before switching over to the Max team . But i don't know for how long he was with THEM. Only that he forced a poor well-known 3ds Max 3rd party dev soul over to the Maya side and made him do Maya work for Autodesk ( and still currently is doing AFAIK )

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #167
Hooch
Back 2 Basics

portfolio
Miguel Chajtur
Freelancer
Santiago, Chile

Send a message via MSN to Hooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefrog
You mean that in earlier days beta security was'nt that tightened and they leaks happening and cracked betas floating arround. And now you rant about Autodesk being successfull fighting those leaks ?
You can't mean that serious ...

It may looked like one, but it wasn't a rant at all.
my point was that even with those beta leaks all over the internet, and all the
serious competition (Maya / Softimage) back in the days, there was no harm done,
in fact, max was getting stronger and more stable in every release, I think max R9
was the peak of that road, after that, some how max started to get weird here and there.
So, I don't understand why so much secrecy, If they where talking about futures plans,
ok I get that.

But why can people talk about the 2014 release at this point?
that was mainly my point.

Cheers!

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #168
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

Because they have to deliver what is announced within 30 days due to US regulations, as they are a publicly traded company.

Presumably to stop companies announcing things to bump up stock and not delivering.

I'm not quite sure why they can show some tech - even down to having an open beta, but not other things.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #169
Hooch
Back 2 Basics

portfolio
Miguel Chajtur
Freelancer
Santiago, Chile

Send a message via MSN to Hooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Green
Because they have to deliver what is announced within 30 days due to US regulations, as they are a publicly traded company.

Presumably to stop companies announcing things to bump up stock and not delivering.

I'm not quite sure why they can show some tech - even down to having an open beta, but not other things.

ok, that put some logic to it.

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #170
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Green
Tech previews and Lab Projects are different as those aren't official products nor are they ever promised to be included in a future release (even though in the majority of the cases they do end up in the product). Where as product announcements are for official products and must deliver on those items during that financial quarter.

Complicated, confusing, etc, but it is intended to protect users to prevent companies from announcing something to get an influx of money. Without those kind of rules a company could announce something and take years to deliver, or fail to deliver it, or something like that.

-Eric

Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #171
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY
Complicated, confusing, etc, but it is intended to protect users to prevent companies from announcing something to get an influx of money. Without those kind of rules a company could announce something and take years to deliver, or fail to deliver it, or something like that.

-Eric

Makes sense. If only this applied to all companies, not just publicly traded ones.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #172
DanGrover
Know-it-All
portfolio
Dan Grover
Technical Director
River Film
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DanGrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze
Makes sense. If only this applied to all companies, not just publicly traded ones.

I think it only makes sense to apply it to publicly traded ones. If Dave's Tech Shop down the road wants to promise it's amazing giga-render box for $10, there's no harm in it doing so. It might disappoint some people, but it isn't really a problem. When publicly traded ones do, it can play havoc with the share price.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #173
McNistor
intergalactic alien

McNistor
Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedarus
XSI will never be given either Max's modelling toolset nor Maya's animation, rigging and simulation features.

Oh my, you have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

As matter of fact I've modeled in XSI and Max and animated in both Maya and XSI and guess what, XSI's modeling and animation is at least as good as Max's modeling and Maya's animation.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #174
DanGrover
Know-it-All
portfolio
Dan Grover
Technical Director
River Film
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DanGrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNistor
Oh my, you have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

As matter of fact I've modeled in XSI and Max and animated in both Maya and XSI and guess what, XSI's modeling and animation is at least as good as Max's modeling and Maya's animation.

He didn't seem to be talking about quality but rather integration.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #175
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread