kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverand
you have to wonder why there has never been one tentpole vfx film from Canada....they are certianly capable of making one.

Canada is a special case. We were dominated by the US culture imports since the beginning and we tended to veer away from the kinds of stories that would be considered fantasy. Literature and radio didnt have to worry about budget restrictions but our output is pretty barren when it comes to fantasy and science fiction when compared to other countries(US, UK, Australia). Plus the US siphoned away people much easier than it could for other countries that have an ocean between them and Hollywood. But mostly actors, not so much writers or directors.

The Uk or Australia is in better shape to make a big vfx movie from scratch on their own.

Canada is more inclined to invest money in dreary films about people with disease or weird comedies or fund foreign filmmakers.
Uwe Boll liked Canadian film financing so much he moved here I do believe.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #62
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Saw this in an article
The discussion in Canada isnt whether tax subsidies are a waste but how much can we keep giving to keep Hollywood here.

On Vancouver losing movie production and digital entertainment jobs to Ontario

The lure of 40 per cent tax breaks (compared to B.C.’s 17.5) has been too much to ignore for some of Vancouver’s most lucrative industries.

“It’s a real problem for us, something we have to assess,” said Dix. “In some cases, Ontario essentially pays people to fly back and forth from Hollywood in private jets.”

Dix agrees with Liberals that Ontario’s tax breaks are unsustainable, but says it’s a problem B.C. can’t ignore.

“It’s doing real damage to us in British Columbia,” he said. “We’re already giving significant support [to production companies] but I think part of the industry’s frustration is the government hasn’t been listening much. We have a candidate, Matt Toner, in Vancouver-False Creek who is heavily involved in the video game industry and we’re looking to have those discussions.”

Old 12-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #63
spurcell
Lord of the posts

portfolio
shane purcell
Senior Artist
Providence, USA

I'm not a big fan of the VFX monopoly CA has, but I'm also not a fan of subsidies. At least with regards to VFX. Each industry is different and it's not fair to always compare them to each other. But I will say this: The people who open up studios in other countries, due to local subsidies, don't give a flying shit about the people who live there. I see THOSE as the greedy money grubbing capitalists, hell bent on purchasing their next Ferrari. The very nature of subsidies has different 'locales' fighting over these potential employers, who just jump from locale to locale making big promises and then dashing them, as they leap from cheap labor to cheap labor. The system is flawed from the ground up, and it needs to go.

There has to be a way to start breaking the hold CA has, without using subsidies.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #64
Pookyjuice
autodiadact

Malik Williams
Senior Tools Developer
The Third Floor
Los Angeles, USA

http://www.indiegogo.com/endvfxsubsidies/... and the initial study is now fully funded! Only took 15 days, and probably would've happened much sooner if not for the temporary account freeze.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:01 AM   #65
Toonman2
Free Particle

portfolio
Sergio Muciño
Rigging Artist
Rodeo FX
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurcell
I'm not a big fan of the VFX monopoly CA has, <snip>

There has to be a way to start breaking the hold CA has, without using subsidies.

Is there still one? From what I hear, things in CA are not going too well for film VFX these days. Seems a lot of work has been moving to Canada recently. I'm not in CA, so I could be totally wrong, but this is what some of my friends over there are telling me (at least, the more Jr. level artists. Seniors seem to be doing fine, if they happen to work in one of the bigger/more stable studios).

Old 12-25-2012, 04:01 AM   #66
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread