Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Join Date: Feb 2002
| FORUM PRIMER:The CG SCHOOLS and DEMO REELS thread
Thinking of studying 3D?
Then please read on!
Due to the fact that almost every day here on CG Talk we get threads being posted about CG schools, we think it would be best to have a nice compilation of links to necessary information that has been posted on the forum previously, to avoid people having to constantly repost information, and also to serve as a resource for anyone considering studying the subject, so that they do not have to resort to posting threads asking about particular schools.
Basically, we are trying to cut down on repetitive threads.
We would like to ask that should people have information about schools that they may have been to or know about, that feel should be added to this list, please let us know so that we can add them here.
This will be an ever increasing list...
This list in no way reflects the opinions of the owners of CG Talk and/or its sponsors in any way. This is simply a list of popular educational institutions, and has been compiled in the best interests of the community, and not to represent the educational recommendations of CG Talk or its sponsors.
CG Schools across the world
Be sure to do searches on each of these schools here in the General Discussions forum, as there might be some information about them here. I have added links to specific threads where I have found a lot of opinions and information.
- Gnomon School of Visual Effects (Hollywood, California, also online training)
Be sure to do a search on Gnomon here on CG Talk, as it has been discussed in lots of threads
- Animation Mentor Online Animation workshops from some of the worlds top animation artists.
- Academy Of Art University (San Francisco, California)
Thread about this school here on CG Talk
- AI Center for Digital Imaging and Sound (Burnaby, British Columbia)
- Algonquin College (Ontario, Canada)
- British Columbia Institute of Technology (Burnaby, BC Canada)
- CalArts (Valencia, California)
- Cogswell Polytechnical College (Sunnyvale, California)
- Center for Digital Imaging Arts at Boston University (Waltham, Massachusetts)
- Centennial College (Toronto, Canada)
- De Anza College (Cupertino, California)
- DevStudios (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada )
- Digital Media Arts College (Boca Raton, Florida)
- Digital Media at East Tennessee State University (Johnson City, Tennessee )
- Ex’pression College for Digital Arts (Emeryville, CA)
- Fashion Institute of Technology (New York City, NY)
- Inter-Dec College (Montreal, Canada)
- Miami International University of Art & Design (Miami, Florida)
- National Animation and Design Centre (NAD) (Montreal, Canada)
- New Brunswick Community College (Miramichi, California)
- New York University Center for Advanced Digital Applications (New York)
- Rhode Island School of Design (Providence, Rhode Island)
- Ringling School of Art and Design (Sarasota, Florida)
- Rochester Institute of Technology ((Rochester, New York)
- Savannah College Of Art and Design (Savannah, Georgia)
Be sure to do a search on this one in the General Discussions forum, as it has been discussed many times
- Seneca College - Digital Media Centre (Toronto, Canada)
- Sheridan - Institute Of Technology and Advanced Learning (Ontario, Canada)
Thread that discusses Sheridan quite a lot
- St Claire College Tradigital Animation (Ontario, Canada)
- School of Communication Arts (Raleigh, North Carolina)
- Think Tank Training Center (Vancouver, Canada)
- University of Advancing Technology (Tempe, Arizona)
- University of Colorado (Denver, Colorado)
- VanArts (Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Vancouver Film School (Vancouver, British Columbia)
Thread about VFS here on CG Talk There are lots of threads that mention VFS all over the forum, so do a search for more information.
- Virginia College (Birmingham and Huntsville, Alabama)
- Full Sail Real World Education (Orlando, Florida)
- The Digital Animation and Visual Effects School (DAVE School) (Orlando, Florida)
- School Of Visual Arts (New York, NYC)
- Sociedad Mexicana de Comunicadores Independientes (AMCI) (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Design-Engine Education (Chicago)
--> Some CG Talk members opinions on the top schools in the US
South AmericaUK & Europe
- Aula Tematica (Madrid, Spain)
- Balleyfermot College of Further Education (Dublin, Ireland)
- Bournemouth University (Dorset, England)
- Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design (Dundee, Scotland)
- Dun Laoghaire College of Art, Design and Technology (Dublin, Ireland)
- Edinburgh College of Art (Edinburgh, Scotland)
- Escape Studios School of Visual Effects (London, England)
- Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg (Ludwigsburg, Germany)
- Florence Design Academy (Florence, Italy)
- The German Film School (Elstal, Germany)
- Glasgow School of Art (Glasgow, Scotland)
- Grafisch Lyceum Rotterdam (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
- University of Hertfordshire (Hertfordshire, UK)
- gsCEPT, University of Luleå (Skellefteå, Sweden)
- HFF - Hochschule fuer Film und Fernsehen (Potsdam, Germany)
- Idefagskolen (Tonsberg, Norway)
- Leeds Animation Workshop (Leeds, England)
- Noroff Instituttet (Kristiansand, Norway)
- Playground Squad (Falun, Sweden)
- School of >Arts of the Portuguese Catholic University (Porto, Portugal)
- SAE Institute (all over Europe)
- Southampton Institute (Southampton, UK)
- Portsmouth School of Art, Design and Media (Portsmouth, England)
- Portsmouth School of Art, Design and Media (Portsmouth, England)
- Skola Kompjuterske Animacije i 3d Kompjuterske Grafike (Belgrade, Yugoslavia)
- the.edge - Digital Visual Effects Training (Lisbon, Portugal)
- TRUEMAX Academy School of CGI & Animation (Vanloese, Denmark)
- University of Teesside and Teeside School of Computing and Mathematics (Middlesbrough, England)
--> Thread about CG Education in England and Scotland
--> Thread about CG Education in Europe
--> Thread about CG Education in The Netherlands
Australia & New Zealand
- Academy of Digital Arts & Communications (Mumbai, Maharashtra India)
- Optidigit/Android Blues (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- City University of Hong Kong (Kowloon, Hong Kong)
- The Digital Film School (Mumbai, Maharashtra India)
- Digital Hollywood (Tokyo, Japan)
- GameEDU (New Delhi, India)
- Go Academy (Selangor, Malaysia)
- LICT University (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- Multimedia University (Melaka, Malaysia)
- National Institute of Design (Ahmedabad, India)
- The One Academy (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- SAE Institute (India, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia)
--> Thread about CG education in Australia
Remember also to check out the websites of the manufacturers of the software that you would like to learn, as many of their sites do have links to places that they recommend.
Links to threads on CG Talk about CG education in generalOther relevant Links
AWN's Animation Industry Database
Excellent database of CG schools all over the world.
3D Ark Careers Archive
Check out the Careers section here for a bunch of informative articles for those people who are interested in pursuing CG as a career.
Once again, if I have left out anything here that I should have included, please send me a PM, and I'll add it to the list. Also feel free to send me links to other relevant sites. I hope that you find this thread useful.
And for those of you who have just graduated, or are looking to break into the industry...
We're always getting threads here on CG Talk that are asking for information as to what on earth should go on your demo reels, then here are some links for you:
And here are a bunch of cool links from studios and independent writers with some useful tips and suggestions for demo reels.
I'll add more threads/links as I come across them. If you know of any that should be included here, please send me a PM with a link.
Last edited by Kirt : 03 March 2008 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Seneca College link changed