Then please read on!
Due to the fact that almost every day here on CG Talk we get threads being posted about CG schools, we think it would be best to have a nice compilation of links to necessary information that has been posted on the forum previously, to avoid people having to constantly repost information, and also to serve as a resource for anyone considering studying the subject, so that they do not have to resort to posting threads asking about particular schools.
Basically, we are trying to cut down on repetitive threads.
We would like to ask that should people have information about schools that they may have been to or know about, that feel should be added to this list, please let us know so that we can add them here.
This will be an ever increasing list...
This list in no way reflects the opinions of the owners of CG Talk and/or its sponsors in any way. This is simply a list of popular educational institutions, and has been compiled in the best interests of the community, and not to represent the educational recommendations of CG Talk or its sponsors.
CG Schools across the world
Be sure to do searches on each of these schools here in the General Discussions forum, as there might be some information about them here. I have added links to specific threads where I have found a lot of opinions and information.
- Gnomon School of Visual Effects (Hollywood, California, also online training)
Be sure to do a search on Gnomon here on CG Talk, as it has been discussed in lots of threads
- Animation Mentor Online Animation workshops from some of the worlds top animation artists.
- Academy Of Art University (San Francisco, California)
Thread about this school here on CG Talk
- AI Center for Digital Imaging and Sound (Burnaby, British Columbia)
- Algonquin College (Ontario, Canada)
- British Columbia Institute of Technology (Burnaby, BC Canada)
- CalArts (Valencia, California)
- Cogswell Polytechnical College (Sunnyvale, California)
- Center for Digital Imaging Arts at Boston University (Waltham, Massachusetts)
- Centennial College (Toronto, Canada)
- De Anza College (Cupertino, California)
- DevStudios (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada )
- Digital Media Arts College (Boca Raton, Florida)
- Digital Media at East Tennessee State University (Johnson City, Tennessee )
- Ex’pression College for Digital Arts (Emeryville, CA)
- Fashion Institute of Technology (New York City, NY)
- Inter-Dec College (Montreal, Canada)
- Miami International University of Art & Design (Miami, Florida)
- National Animation and Design Centre (NAD) (Montreal, Canada)
- New Brunswick Community College (Miramichi, California)
- New York University Center for Advanced Digital Applications (New York)
- Rhode Island School of Design (Providence, Rhode Island)
- Ringling School of Art and Design (Sarasota, Florida)
- Rochester Institute of Technology ((Rochester, New York)
- Savannah College Of Art and Design (Savannah, Georgia)
Be sure to do a search on this one in the General Discussions forum, as it has been discussed many times
- Seneca College - Digital Media Centre (Toronto, Canada)
- Sheridan - Institute Of Technology and Advanced Learning (Ontario, Canada)
Thread that discusses Sheridan quite a lot
- St Claire College Tradigital Animation (Ontario, Canada)
- School of Communication Arts (Raleigh, North Carolina)
- Think Tank Training Center (Vancouver, Canada)
- University of Advancing Technology (Tempe, Arizona)
- University of Colorado (Denver, Colorado)
- VanArts (Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Vancouver Film School (Vancouver, British Columbia)
Thread about VFS here on CG Talk There are lots of threads that mention VFS all over the forum, so do a search for more information.
- Virginia College (Birmingham and Huntsville, Alabama)
- Full Sail Real World Education (Orlando, Florida)
- The Digital Animation and Visual Effects School (DAVE School) (Orlando, Florida)
- School Of Visual Arts (New York, NYC)
- Sociedad Mexicana de Comunicadores Independientes (AMCI) (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Design-Engine Education (Chicago)
- Cadritech Computacao Grafica (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- Centro Experimental de Animacion (Cordoba, Argentina)
- Image Campus (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Melies - Escola de Cinema 3D e Animação (São Paulo - Brazil)
- Pacific University (Santiago, Chile)
- Taller de Cine de Animacion (Santiago, Chile)
- Aula Tematica (Madrid, Spain)
- Balleyfermot College of Further Education (Dublin, Ireland)
- Bournemouth University (Dorset, England)
- Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design (Dundee, Scotland)
- Dun Laoghaire College of Art, Design and Technology (Dublin, Ireland)
- Edinburgh College of Art (Edinburgh, Scotland)
- Escape Studios School of Visual Effects (London, England)
- Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg (Ludwigsburg, Germany)
- Florence Design Academy (Florence, Italy)
- The German Film School (Elstal, Germany)
- Glasgow School of Art (Glasgow, Scotland)
- Grafisch Lyceum Rotterdam (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
- University of Hertfordshire (Hertfordshire, UK)
- gsCEPT, University of Luleå (Skellefteå, Sweden)
- HFF - Hochschule fuer Film und Fernsehen (Potsdam, Germany)
- Idefagskolen (Tonsberg, Norway)
- Leeds Animation Workshop (Leeds, England)
- Noroff Instituttet (Kristiansand, Norway)
- Playground Squad (Falun, Sweden)
- School of >Arts of the Portuguese Catholic University (Porto, Portugal)
- SAE Institute (all over Europe)
- Southampton Institute (Southampton, UK)
- Portsmouth School of Art, Design and Media (Portsmouth, England)
- Portsmouth School of Art, Design and Media (Portsmouth, England)
- Skola Kompjuterske Animacije i 3d Kompjuterske Grafike (Belgrade, Yugoslavia)
- the.edge - Digital Visual Effects Training (Lisbon, Portugal)
- TRUEMAX Academy School of CGI & Animation (Vanloese, Denmark)
- University of Teesside and Teeside School of Computing and Mathematics (Middlesbrough, England)
--> Thread about CG Education in Europe
--> Thread about CG Education in The Netherlands
- Allenby Campus (Nationwide, South Africa)
- CityVarsity Multimedia School (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Concept Interactive (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Damelin Education Group (nationwide, South Africa)
- Integrated Solutions (Cairo, Egypt)
- TouchVision(Randburg, South Africa)
- Universal Computer Arts Academy (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Wits University School Of Arts (Witwatersrand, South Africa)
- Academy of Digital Arts & Communications (Mumbai, Maharashtra India)
- Optidigit/Android Blues (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- City University of Hong Kong (Kowloon, Hong Kong)
- The Digital Film School (Mumbai, Maharashtra India)
- Digital Hollywood (Tokyo, Japan)
- GameEDU (New Delhi, India)
- Go Academy (Selangor, Malaysia)
- LICT University (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- Multimedia University (Melaka, Malaysia)
- National Institute of Design (Ahmedabad, India)
- The One Academy (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- SAE Institute (India, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia)
- Academy of Interactive Entertainment (Canberra)
- The Australian Centre for the Arts & Technology (Canberra and Melbourne)
- Australian Film and Radio School (North Ryde, New South Wales)
- Centre for Animation & Interactive Media (RMIT University) (Melbourne)
- The Drawing Studio (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Griffith University (South Brisbane, Queensland)
- Massey University (Wellington, New Zealand)
- Media Design School (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Moving Ideas Animation (Sydney, Australia)
- NatColl Design Technology (Wellington, New Zealand)
- Swinburne University (Hawthorn, although NSD design department is located in Prahran )
- Victorian College of Arts (Southbank)
Remember also to check out the websites of the manufacturers of the software that you would like to learn, as many of their sites do have links to places that they recommend.
Links to threads on CG Talk about CG education in general
- What kind of schooling do you professionals recommend?
- Interesting poll about who studied 3D and who is self taught here on CG Talk
- Huge thread about CG schools
- Importance Of a Degree
- Some opinions about the top art colleges around
- A Degree, is it that important?
- Is High School Education necessary for Success in the CG Industry?
AWN's Animation Industry Database Excellent database of CG schools all over the world.
3D Ark Careers Archive Check out the Careers section here for a bunch of informative articles for those people who are interested in pursuing CG as a career.
Once again, if I have left out anything here that I should have included, please send me a PM, and I'll add it to the list. Also feel free to send me links to other relevant sites. I hope that you find this thread useful.
And for those of you who have just graduated, or are looking to break into the industry...
We're always getting threads here on CG Talk that are asking for information as to what on earth should go on your demo reels, then here are some links for you:
- Why send a demo on videotape? (CG Talk Thread)
- What should be the content of a good portfolio website? (CG Talk Thread)
- Demo reels: vhs vs cd (CG Talk Thread)
- What is Bad Demo Reel Etiquette? (CG Talk Thread)
- demo reel music: copyright issues (CG Talk Thread)
- Tip to make your reel more usable than disposable (CG Talk Thread)
- 147 demo reels thrown away!! (CG Talk Thread - an interesting read)
- What do you pack your reel, resume, etc in when mailing? (CG Talk Thread)
- LucasArts tips for demo reels
- Basic Tips for Resume Submission from Blizzard Entertainment
- More Demo Reel Tips by Pamela Thompson on 3D Ark
- Tips for a Demo Reel that Works by By Bill Davis
- Reel Opportunities by By Jenny Arata
- Education 101: The Demo Reel by By Shadoukat on the ScratchPost
- Colorado Game Developers: Demo Reels Tips and Tricks by Brian Robbins & Karl Fasickon
- How to get a Job in Computer Animation:
Create an Amazing Demo Reel and get It to the Right People
by By Ed Harris - An entire book about how to go about pursuing a career in this exciting field!
- Top 10 Tips for Landing a Job In 3D by Jeremy Birn
- Interview with an ILM Animator
- Some Information for Students by Andrew Whitehurst, Senior Technical Director: Framestore-CFC. Some valuable insight for students, especially for those interested in TD/lighting positions in the industry.