Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #16
FosseCS2
portfolio
Thomas Fosse
Art Director, Creativ Artist
Moss, Norway

Thanks!

It does sound logical flipping the photo upside down. Although it does seem strange I do in fact understand the meaning of doing so.

I'll try it out and see what I'll come up with.

Thanks a lot for your help. You've just thaught me to see things in a new perspective

www.fosses-ill.net

Old 03-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #17
Bracer
Bracer Jack

portfolio
Bracer Jack
Singapore

Send a message via MSN to Bracer
================================================== ========
Fosses-ill.net:

I'm currently learning how to do portrait (I've drawn comics and cartooncharacters for too many years now) and I find it very difficult.
hmm, That Depends, Your Cartoon/Comic Is "Radically" Different From Real Life ?

Fosses-ill.net:
I'm using what I've learned from drawing comics and cartoon, and at the beginning it looks allright. But when I'm working on the details like the eyes, mouth and the nose (oh, how I hate doing the nose) I just don't seem to succeed.
Dare I Say Something ? Honest.
The Number One Problem, NUMBER ONE. Is The Lack Of Observation, I Know I Know You Want To Hit Me Now, But Seriously, As I Have Stated Very Clearly In My Tutorial.
That Is Why The Camera Are So Good At Capturing The Likeness, They Don't Think, They Just Copy Down EXACTLY What They See.

I Will Assume 100% That You Are Sure About What You're Talking Is 100% Correct, If That's The Case, Here's My Analysis.

You Say That At The Beginning, It Looked OK.
Very Well I'll Take It As That, That Would Mean I Believe 100% That You Have Observe To The Best of Your Observation[Not Knowledge], The Facial Feature Placement, Their Corresponding Size, Placement/ Their Relative Ratio With One Another/ The Overall Shape/ Connection Lines And Their Angle Observed To The Best Of Your Observation.

As I Have Stated Very Clearly In My Tutorial, Step 2 Is Not To Be Rushed, Never To Be Rushed. If Your Current Skill Level Dictates That You Need More Time To Correct The Ratio, Too Bad, You Have To. No Way,.....No Way Around It.

"But I Use To Draw Comic And I Took Only XXX Minutes To Do It"
That's Because You Are Drawing A Comic And Now You Drawing A Portrait.
Show That Piece Of Paper Your Patient And Soon Your Patient Will Be Printed In That Paper In All It Glory No Choice, I Have To State It Again, Repeat Step 2, Rub, Rub, Rub, Correct, Rub And Rub And Draw Over And Correct And Rub~~~~~~ Until You Get It.

I'am Sorry, There's No Short Cut, There Never Had Been, Unless Of Course You Trace....But Please Don't Let Me Know. Ha Ha Ha.

Step 2 Step 2

No Choice, I'am Sorry. I'am Trying To Help You Here, I Don't Know How To Make It Sound Any Better Than The Truth Here

Fosses-ill.net:
So, do any of you got any advice for me on how to overcome some of my problems? Even though I can SEE how the mouth and the nose are shaped I have the bad habit of drawing them too cartoony or simply drawing them wrong.
Then You Need To Overcome The Bad Habit
Tell Yourself You Are Not Going To Shade A Single Area Of That Paper Unless You Shade What You See, If It's There It's There, If It's Not There, It's Not There.
Theoratically, How "Wrong" Can A Portrait Get When You Observe And Not Draw Because In Cartoon You Draw Like That

Can You Show Me Some Of Your Drawings, We Might Be Facing Some Even More Fundamental Challenges Here, It Seems.
I'am Willing To Help You, Please let Me Know Your Current Level

LoTekK Offered Execellent Suggestions Here, The "Turn The Portrait Upsidedown" Is Classic, And It Works Try It

I Don't Think You Need To Get "Books" Before You Go Back To Your Portrait Thou, Cameras Don't Read Yet They Copied So Well, And In This Case You're Not Drawing From Imagination[Which Requires Basic Anatomical Knowledge], You Are Trying From A Photograph, If That's The Case, If You JUST DRAW WHAT YOU SEE, You Couldn't Possibly Go Too Wrong, try Again, Don't Give Up

My Portfolio Site

Last edited by Bracer : 03-09-2006 at 01:51 PM.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #18
sick-osiris
portfolio
Jonathan Wong
Limerick , Ireland

great tutorial mate, thanks for sharing

Old 03-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #19
Bracer
Bracer Jack

portfolio
Bracer Jack
Singapore

Thanks sick-osiris

My Portfolio Site

Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #20
Bracer
Bracer Jack

portfolio
Bracer Jack
Singapore

This One Is Drawn Using The "Grid" Technique.
I WAS Actually Thinking Of Creating Another Portrait Tutorial On Using The Grid Technique.
But I Really Don't Think It So Complicated That It Requires Extensive Comprehension...

Basically, You Lay A Transparent Grid Over Your Photo To Be Drawn, Make The Square Smaller If The Details Inside The Square Are Still Too Complicated For You.

But If The Square Gets To Many, It Starts To Look Daunting, So Basically You Regulate,
Kind Of A Give And Take Situation, Increase The Size Of The Square When You're Able To Handle More Details In A Square, Eventually, You'll Do Without The Square, Which Is What My Tutorial Teaches Right At The Beginning Of The Thread.

Instead Of Laying A Physical "Transparent Grid", You Can Just Lay That Grid In Photoshop, Hence You Can Adjust The Square To Suit Your Skill Level Interactively.

I Actually Wanted To Say That Using The Grid Technique Might As Well Be Tracing, But I Can't, The Fact Is, It's Very Useful For Beginners And Yet In It's Essence, It Actually FORCE The Beginner To Look At Shapes Instead Of "It's A Human Head" Kind Of Thinking Because Inside Each Square Is Simply A Line Or Shape.

That Alone, Helps A Lot In Learning To Draw What You See.

Does Anybody Actually NEEDs me To Visualize The Grid Technique Or No It's Not Really Required ?

My Portfolio Site

Old 04-07-2006, 10:40 PM   #21
paperclip
Better than staples.

portfolio
Theresa Ryan
Freelance illustrator
Theresa Ryan Visual Development
Castlebar, Ireland

I enjoyed reading your tutorial there- it helped refresh some points in my mind that I'd forgotten. Thanks!

One thing...you don't need to put a capital letter at the beginning of every word. Like This. You Know What I Mean. Capitals are only needed at the beginning of a sentence and for peoples' names and place names. That would make your writing much easier to read!

Cheers!
'clippy.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:51 AM   #22
Bracer
Bracer Jack

portfolio
Bracer Jack
Singapore

Thanks paperclip For The Compliments.
But In All Honesty, You Should Be The One That Teach Me How To Paint !
Ha Ha Ha

I Like Your "Tourists" Painting, I LOVE The Look Of The One Holding The Camera !

AS For The Caps....erm...I've Been Typing Like This For Years, Very Hard To Change...OK Ok Maybe I DON'T Want To Change. Ha Ha Ha. Bad Bad..... I'll Hold A Meeting With Myself Regarding This

Sorry For Any Inconvenient Caused.

My Portfolio Site

Old 04-08-2006, 06:51 AM   #23
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread