CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > NVArt Competitions > NVArt - Surreal
Login register
Untitled Document
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #226
spurcell
Lord of the posts

portfolio
shane purcell
Senior Artist
Providence, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiljan66
This contest sucks really , why the winners are the poeple that stole some jerkas idea and even put a little of roiginality themselves in their images , this really sucks , likle the post of figment evryone toighs that he will win and he get and put some jerka stuff that jerkas invented , and cerate a great image , and dont win? , why the others images that many i think they are not so good as figment to win? ..they stole some of jerkas ideas too!!! and they win and the figment didnt?
or mine that i didnt stole yerkas ideas
and dont even get to the special mentions?
i hate to copy and hate people that copy things form anothers , no originality at all!
i think this contest sucks !!
i hope new contest will be different ,adn dont let 2d and 3d combine in one contest , that sucks too!!
let be one in 3d and another in 2d , or i thnk that nvidia cant promote that because they are poor they have no money to promote one 3d ontest and one 2d contest that will be fair to me , but this contest sucks!!!

Grabs popcorn...

Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #227
jsgknight
Digital Artist

portfolio
Jason Knight
Digital Artist
Salt Lake City, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhshizzle
Grabs popcorn...

And a bag of chips, a pizza, a cooler with some strong drinks, a sleeping bag, a tent, and a coffin for when it is all over... because I will surly pass away before the rant ever ends.

Did I mention congratulations to all the winners! Most of them were my personal favorites, but there are a few surprises. Also, nice work to the judges, I know this was a tough one to judge but I think the results are spot on.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #228
BaronImpossible
Dr Ass-hat-on

portfolio
Simon Dominic
Illustrator
United Kingdom

Double post

Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #229
BaronImpossible
Dr Ass-hat-on

portfolio
Simon Dominic
Illustrator
United Kingdom

smiljan66 ^ Can someone ban this ass?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #230
ElChristopho
portfolio
Chris Gilman
Artist
Colorado Springs, United States

Press Release

I may of missed the listing of the winners... Is there somewhere where the winners are listed?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #231
smiljan66
Veteran
portfolio
smiljan pecjak Laserna
freelancer
xxx
Bogota, Colombia

read here this says before yu write some ass words:
Before posting, please review the following:
  1. Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others

Old 04-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #232
khendar
T2 - Fudgement Day

portfolio
Tim Parkinson
Programmer
Adelaide, Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiljan66
read here this says before yu write some ass words:
Before posting, please review the following:
  1. Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others

Precisely what you are NOT doing.

You know, I was going to write a lengthy and detailed post about how the ENTIRE PREMISE of the "Jacek Yerka inspired NVArt Surreal Competition" is to create works of art inspired by Jacek Yerka, and how the winners were chosen for their ability to capture the essence of Yerka's style, and how complaining about a competition after the winners are announced smacks of jealousy and sour grapes and ruins the fun for those who actually followed the instructions and conducted themselves with dignity and decorum. However in the light of your last couple of posts, I'm not going to bother.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #233
khendar
T2 - Fudgement Day

portfolio
Tim Parkinson
Programmer
Adelaide, Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChristopho
I may of missed the listing of the winners... Is there somewhere where the winners are listed?

There's a Feature article on the front page of the site:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story...p?story_id=5027

Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #234
aten
Veteran

Aten Skinner
Artist
Team17
United Kingdom

Congrats to all the winners! Some surprises there but seeing them together in the feature article it's easy to see why they were all chosen.

Well done all who entered (and didn't bitch about the results )

Old 05-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #235
dodgeOrBURN
.:Leaf in the Wind:.

portfolio
Z. Lynda Bathory
Texture Artist & Modeler
Montreal, Canada

Congratulations to all the winners, all those who entered and those who offered positive and constructive comments.

I would like to know if Jacek Yerka has been contacted regarding the winners and if he might honor us with a few observations? I think that would be real privilege.

Steampunk

Strange Behavior

Old 05-02-2009, 05:46 AM   #236
SidBan
CG Artist

portfolio
siddhartha banerjee
CGartist/Concept Artist/Photographer
Freelancer
Kolkata, India

Congratulations to all the winners, and also to all the participants who spend their quality time to make this competition so colourful and gorgeous.

As we all know that the inspiration of this competition is "JACEK YERKA", so is it possible that
"JACEK YERKA" himself say something (his valuable comments) regarding the competition, and the creations created by us.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #237
neurobasics
Frequenter

portfolio
neurobasics neurobasics
New York, USA

Send a message via AIM to neurobasics
one of the key figures in surrealsm defined it as "Surrealism, n. Pure psychic automatism, by which one proposes to express, either verbally, in writing, or by any other manner, the real functioning of thought. Dictation of thought in the absence of all control exercised by reason, outside of all aesthetic and moral preoccupation."

how do you propose people create surrealist art that has to fit into the rules you created based on someone else's thought.
seems to be an exploitation and caging of artistic talent.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #238
JBrant
Veteran
portfolio
Jeremy Brant
Digital Artist
studioAMD
Providence, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurobasics
one of the key figures in surrealsm defined it as "Surrealism, n. Pure psychic automatism, by which one proposes to express, either verbally, in writing, or by any other manner, the real functioning of thought. Dictation of thought in the absence of all control exercised by reason, outside of all aesthetic and moral preoccupation."

how do you propose people create surrealist art that has to fit into the rules you created based on someone else's thought.

I suppose you could look at it that way but we were (are) only ever as caged as we want. Our adherence to the rules and Yerka's style is, in the end, self imposed. A lot of the work for the competition was very much in the style of Yerka, while some was only an interpretation taking a great deal of artistic liberty.

What did you think of the quality of the work?

NVArt-ArtSpace

Not all that matters is matter.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #239
khendar
T2 - Fudgement Day

portfolio
Tim Parkinson
Programmer
Adelaide, Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurobasics

Technically you are correct, surrealist art by definition should be devoid of constraints. However this was not a surrealist art competition, its a "surrealist art in the style of JACEK YERKA" competition. The constraint is inherent in the brief. If people feel that the brief is not in the spirit of the surrealist art genre, then they won't enter the competition. If people think its exploitative or restrictive, then they won't enter the competition.

reply share thread