Some Advice on compositing.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Red face Some Advice on compositing.

So im at a few cross roads with how to best proceed on my next project. I want to explore
taking compositing and nuke to the next level but you cant just pick it up with text graphics and stuff (like ae). Nuke (i feel) needs to be approached differently.

Anyways I currently am strong with Cinema4d, but alot of the places ive visited use Houdini (rising sun pictures), and vfx is the place id like to be after i graduate this year

Now on to my question;

Is it better to learn how to composit with Cinema4d and Nuke or learn the ropes with Houdini and then learn Nuke.
I've always wanted to learn Houdini but again im a little confused, should i just stick with C4d and then pick up Nuke or learn Houdini and put nuke on the back burner.

02 February 2013
If you want to work as a compositor, learn compositing. Simple as that.

Concentrate on learning Nuke and, even more important imo, the software independent fundamentals of compositing.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by cgPoweruser: If you want to work as a compositor, learn compositing. Simple as that.

Concentrate on learning Nuke and, even more important imo, the software independent fundamentals of compositing.

But one the note of learning nuke, I've been looking around for material and most of the tutorials are working with extensive footage. What does one do when he has NO footage, do you render out your own?, use stock footage?

Also with regards to a pipeline, Cinema4d aparnetly has problems exporting models to NUke and camera solves from Nuke are an issue to open in C4d. Anybody aware of these problems even when using FXP ?. today i tried exporting a stock model that came with C4D, but only one part of it made it to Nuke and not all of it. Any paperwork on cinema4d / Nuke pipelining would be great

02 February 2013
when you import a FBX model in nuke you can choose which part of the FBX scene you load. if you check the "all objects" option the whole scene is loaded

for all the other stuff:

if you want to become a compositor, learn compositing. for vfx comp you would need a lot of footage to practice. alot of footage can be found on the internet, even if its not the best quality its better then nothing.

if your good at a 3d package you can also create you own footage and play around with it.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by pingking: when you import a FBX model in nuke you can choose which part of the FBX scene you load. if you check the "all objects" option the whole scene is loaded

for all the other stuff:

if you want to become a compositor, learn compositing. for vfx comp you would need a lot of footage to practice. alot of footage can be found on the internet, even if its not the best quality its better then nothing.

if your good at a 3d package you can also create you own footage and play around with it.

Yeah that did help me decide, Ive decided to go ahead and just start diving into nuke
Thanks everybody

02 February 2013
So while not wanting to make a new thread I jumped into NukeFx today head strong and the manual open. Decided to track and composite some stock footage

In nuke the track lines up just right
http://imgur.com/totb4MO

But in cinema 4d after exporting it to FXB
the track seems off :S
http://imgur.com/bJgYmYd

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong ?
Also the first screenie has settings open for my export

02 February 2013
did you check the FPS settings matching in both?
do you have the same size of the camera back/sensor?
do both sequences start at the same frame?

that are the most common errors with camera matching

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by pingking: did you check the FPS settings matching in both?
do you have the same size of the camera back/sensor?
do both sequences start at the same frame?

that are the most common errors with camera matching

the image sequence is at 29.97fps / 810 frames at 27 seconds of footage
both line up, Im not sure where i can check how Nuke is exporting this all i have going on is a simple tracker node, Im looking around for a way I can set the export frame rate but im guessing nuke should know this on its own its its a tiff sequence.

here are my settings
http://imgur.com/qlriu15

http://imgur.com/3b3Zg5C

02 February 2013
Check your project settings for the correct frame rate, not the write node.

Last edited by scrimski : 02 February 2013 at 06:17 AM.

02 February 2013
nuke is set by default to 24fps, you have to change this in the project settings

if this also matches then it can be an offset in the timeline

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread