Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
lawcrens
Veteran
portfolio
Lawrence Crenshaw
Los Angeles, United States

Send a message via AIM to lawcrens
Building new work station, need good processor.

I am currently building a new workstation with dual processing and was wondering which processor should I get, Xeon 2540 (8 Core) or Xeon 2620 (6 Core). I will be rendering a small animation short, about 5 minutes, in Vray and was wondering if the price difference is worth the rendering time. On my current computer, one quad processor and 8gb, the rendering time for a frame is around 45 min.
I will be installing 64 GB of ram( each processor having 32).
Xeon 2540 - $1150
Xeon 2620 - $650

Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
jojojo
PRO
portfolio
YF
Germany

get an i7 3930k. it's hexacore and is much faster per single core, also you can have up to 64 GB or RAM easily and it's going to be cheaper. if you want you can also overclock it quite easily.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

I dont know the details of your project, but my first suggestion is that 45 minutes per frame on a quad machine isnt really a reasonable render time unless you have a significant render farm available to you. Even if you get the faster machine, your 45 minute renders will probably fall down to around 15 minutes per frame:

15 minutes
x30 fps = 7.5 hours
x60 seconds in a minute = 18.75 days
x5 minutes of footage = Over 3 months

3 months of solid rendering if you dont need to re-render anything. Honestly, simplify your scenes, optimise them down and lose things you cant afford to render.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

I don't think upgrading the workstation is the best use of funds. Setting up a small render farm with stripped down machines would be more effective at cutting down the time it takes to render the complete animation.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
lawcrens
Veteran
portfolio
Lawrence Crenshaw

My processor is a Q6600 so it’s not the best quad core out. I also do plan on tweaking and optimizing a lot of settings in order to cut back on the render time. Maybe setting up 4 computers with Q4400 would be a faster approach then investing on an expensive workstation. Would anyone like to share the specs on any efficient small renderfarms that they use?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
thunderbolt78
render4you renderfarm

portfolio
Sven Pfeiffer
renderfarm
render4you.eu
Frankfurt, Germany

Hi,

if you want, you can send me your scene for free. i will make a testrender for free every 25th frame for example. So you know the time for a quadcore i7 3770k, the time for your animation on my farm and a my price for all frames. sync is via dropbox.

the q6600 stock has 4.00 Cinebench
the 3770k stock has 7.5 Cinebench

in my opinion, you should not invest money to buy or build a system with q6600 or non sandy or ivy bridge proz.

best regards
Sven, render4you

Last edited by thunderbolt78 : 05-30-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
lawcrens
Veteran
portfolio
Lawrence Crenshaw

None of the scenes are finalized and still need to be reworked but I can send you the files once they are complete. Right now I am just pre planning for the rendering nightmare. For pre renders, I will use my GPU. Currently I have a Quadro 4000 but Im thinking about upgrading that as well to a 5000.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
DrSrsen
portfolio
John Stewart
Sydney, United Kingdom

I agree - with the price of those chips, it's cheaper to build a quad core node.

You should be able to whip together an i7 3770 node for $700.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
thunderbolt78
render4you renderfarm

portfolio
Sven Pfeiffer
renderfarm
render4you.eu
Frankfurt, Germany

maybe you can buy a cheap LGA2011 board. You can use this with an actual quadcore i7-3820 for example. later you can upgrade to an six core or hexaxore ...

actual xeon´s for lga2011 the beast Xeon E5 2690 will work too....

if you have money look for this ...

EVGA Classified SR-2
2x X5690 at 4ghz.
you will get 20 cinebench-point ... and a mass of pci-slots for quadro cards or modded gtx cards to quadro ...

but remember, for the price of this components, you will get 6-7 quadcore i7 lga1155 systems with 7,5 points each ....

regards
Sven, render4you

Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
lawcrens
Veteran
portfolio
Lawrence Crenshaw

So far everyone in the chat has advised me to use a renderfarm vs a powerful workstation for speed and financial reasons. It would be nice to have a workstation with that kind of power but possibly not practical for what Im trying to do.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

If the focus is to get a single project out of the door, I would also recommend looking for rendering services.
If the focus is a quicker turn-around at your desk, then consider upgrading, but when rendering time will come you will be waiting several weeks to have the lot rendered.

Another solution worth considering if you're looking at dual xeon kind of budgets is building yourself a second single CPU, barebones box solely for rendering purposes, that way you can have it constantly churning without sacrificing your main box, and likely end up spending less than building yourself a single monster to take care of both desk and offline rendering time.

Consider deadlines and time taken and how much overlap you have between shots being produced and being rendered, or you might end up digging yourself into the rendering hole Mash outlined of figuring out too late that you can barely render a second of animation a day.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
parallax
set of car keys

M
piece of furniture
Marshall Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
I dont know the details of your project, but my first suggestion is that 45 minutes per frame on a quad machine isnt really a reasonable render time unless you have a significant render farm available to you. Even if you get the faster machine, your 45 minute renders will probably fall down to around 15 minutes per frame:

15 minutes
x30 fps = 7.5 hours
x60 seconds in a minute = 18.75 days
x5 minutes of footage = Over 3 months

3 months of solid rendering if you dont need to re-render anything. Honestly, simplify your scenes, optimise them down and lose things you cant afford to render.

Really, before you do anything read what imashination said over & over and really think about the challenge at hand.

You've got a problem that is several orders of magnitude beyond a few cores. The power usage alone could run you in the $200-$300 range easily so this would negate any savings on your current plan.

Get your rendering time down to 10% of your current estimates and try again.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
okmijun
Expert

portfolio
Zdravko Barisic
Architect
Belgrade, Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojo
get an i7 3930k. it's hexacore and is much faster per single core, also you can have up to 64 GB or RAM easily and it's going to be cheaper. if you want you can also overclock it quite easily.

+1!

Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread