Rhythm & Hues- Master Thread:(At Least Four Buyers Reportedly Interested)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Rhythm & Hues- Master Thread:(At Least Four Buyers Reportedly Interested)

Troubled Visual-Effects Company Rhythm & Hues Gets $20M Studio Infusion (Exclusive)

Quote: Rhythm & Hues Studios, the Oscar-nominated visual-effects company behind "Life of Pi," is in dire financial straits and will take an emergency $20 million capital infusion from three major Hollywood studios in order to keep its doors open through April, three individuals with knowledge of the situation told TheWrap.

Not good. :(

02 February 2013
This might sound rough but if these businesses are operating in a unsustainable manner it's probably better they close down which in return will reduce competition and will allow other/new studio's to charge more realistic fee's for their work..

02 February 2013
What's a shame is from what I've heard, R&H treats their employees well, and to have a company like this go out of business is not a good signal - IMO - to other companies that treat the employees similarly. Hopefully they will weather this storm. But I do agree that if the company is not operating in a sustainable manner, they should do something about it (hopefully not close) and get back on positive footing.

Good Luck R&H.

02 February 2013
Wow, if this is really so its quite sad. R&H from what i understand is run like a family.

02 February 2013
fuel VFX was in dire strait after completing Prometheus who make $403,354,469 and is nominated for an Academy Awards.
R&H is now in dire strait after Life of Pi a $548,506,363 gross and a nomition for an Academy Awards.
Guys ! ... what a reward after this killing CG tiger ...

well well well ... something is rotten in the state of Denmark ...

Last edited by SebKaine : 02 February 2013 at 07:45 AM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by SebKaine: well well well ... something is rotten in the state of Denmark ...

Wait what?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by SebKaine: fuel VFX was in dire strait after completing Prometheus who make $403,354,469 and is nominated for an Academy Awards.
R&H is now in dire strait after Life of Pi a $548,506,363 gross and a nomition for an Academy Awards.

Originally Posted by flipnap: whats happening within our industry doesnt have anything in common with "operating in an unsustainable manner". Theres something a lot deeper and darker going on. i just read the news on dreamworks and im shocked. this stuff is all about politics, investors, stock prices and good old fashioned greed on all sides. ive never seen so much industry collapse in all my years. its frightening. i only hope some good will come of this.

As time goes by it seems more and more that socio paths control the overall funding of this industry, and nobody does anything about it. These movies make massive money, but studios are forced to run contract to contract with tight margins. We aren't making obscene wages here, and there aren't that many outright flops.... who's hoarding the money? I wish we could all (studio owners included) just step back and take a break from it all. Stop VFX production and let the films in progress stumble around a bit. I know that's not financially possible, and I know there's always China/India looming, but... without FX, what are most blockbuster movies these days?

Last edited by b1m2x3 : 02 February 2013 at 09:25 PM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by SebKaine: fuel VFX was in dire strait after completing Prometheus who make $403,354,469 and is nominated for an Academy Awards.

Well apparently most of that billion $$ reward went to the studios. I wonder how many billions has to be generated for VFX studios to actually survive a successful movie?
I'm left with the impression that VFX shops really need to NOT get involved in blockbuster movies because it seems to be the kiss of death for them.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: Wow, if this is really so its quite sad. R&H from what i understand is run like a family.

I've always heard this about them as well; they definitely have a good reputation amongst my friends who've worked there.

The last few weeks have been unbelievably dismal for VFX. It feels like our industry is suddenly crumbling around us, along with our jobs. Considering this field that has been my bread and butter for my entire adult life, it's a lot to have to take in.

I'm desperately hoping that things are going to take a turn for the better.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: I'm desperately hoping that things are going to take a turn for the better.

God i hope you're right...

I only started working in vfx in 2009 but things felt like they were booming (except maybe in the US who must already have been feeling the pinch). 4 years later, and it seems like everone is just surviving, the emphasis being on just...

Nick Marshall
Head of Environments / Generalists
Double Negative :: Vancouver
www.dneg.com

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: I've always heard this about them as well; they definitely have a good reputation amongst my friends who've worked there.

The last few weeks have been unbelievably dismal for VFX. It feels like our industry is suddenly crumbling around us, along with our jobs. Considering this field that has been my bread and butter for my entire adult life, it's a lot to have to take in.

I'm desperately hoping that things are going to take a turn for the better.

Its been crumbling for years its just now London is getting effected in a big way.

b

02 February 2013
i worked 4 films at r&h and it was some of the best times, and one of the best places i ever worked. They were very transparent about their finances with employees (john gave a weekly meeting about them to whoever wanted to attend) so wed all be on the same page. they never blew smoke and were always respectful with the concept that we were all people with lives and families. Theyd let people bring their dogs to work and it was really like a family there (and not in a creepy cult kind of way). You always felt like an equal and most of the time they treated you as if you were doing them a favor by being there. extremely rare and this is very sad. I really hope things work out, and as leigh said, im in shock at whats happening in front of my eyes. its like watching a building implode in slow motion. so very sad.

God- "nietzsche is dead"

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: I'm desperately hoping that things are going to take a turn for the better.

The 5 or 6 majors that produce 99% of the big VFX movies only care about one and only one thing ... How to do more for less , and if they can win 500.000 $ by putting 2 FX shop down ... well they will do it , after all it's not big deal, money is money ! So as an artist you work really really hard with overtime (generally unpaid ) and your reward is a big F*@# by the guys that have suck all your strength ( and sink the company where you work ... wich is not very cool ) . The bad news is that i'm afraid that expect the workalcholic , masochist, and the fresh blood under 30 ... the vfx movie bizz will not be very sexy for a long time ... The good news is that if you accept that this circle of stupidity is hard to break (impossible ? ... i don't like the word ) you realize that there are many many other area where CG is a big plus and where new opportunity are possible ! of course making CG for museum or science apps for exemple is less sexy than working on a blockbuster but as you can make money with your passion , thats good enough for me ...

And if you still want to take this crazy walk ( run ? ) in the wild side of the VFX bizz, you will now know the price to pay ( more precisely ... the price you will not be pay ... )

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Kabab: This might sound rough but if these businesses are operating in a unsustainable manner it's probably better they close down which in return will reduce competition and will allow other/new studio's to charge more realistic fee's for their work..

whats happening within our industry doesnt have anything in common with "operating in an unsustainable manner". Theres something a lot deeper and darker going on. i just read the news on dreamworks and im shocked. this stuff is all about politics, investors, stock prices and good old fashioned greed on all sides. ive never seen so much industry collapse in all my years. its frightening. i only hope some good will come of this.

God- "nietzsche is dead"

02 February 2013
I am hearing unconfirmed reports that Peerless camera Company is now in trouble and staff have been told not to bother coming in.

B

Thread Closed share thread