[Learn More] Some questions about 3D Films and Games

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013
[Learn More] Some questions about 3D Films and Games

Hello everybody, I'm the new here and i want to learn more about the CG Industry.
As the title, i'm just a newbie so i need help!
I have some questions here please help me by answering my questions, i really thank you all about that.

1. What's the different of the 3D Films and Game?
2. Can i use the same product ( Like 3D Model or something like that...) for both 3D Film and Game ?
3. What's is the Game engine ? can i have some example ?

P/s: I still have a lot of question but now i cant remember it

=> I really thank you about your all answers so that i can improve my knowledge

12 December 2013
The main concept of 3d for film and games are same. But workflows to make movies and games are different. 3d objects are actually combination of many geometric polygons. You can play with some simple free 3d programs to know how 3d objects are made of.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by Zhbdcafe: The main concept of 3d for film and games are same. But workflows to make movies and games are different. 3d objects are actually combination of many geometric polygons. You can play with some simple free 3d programs to know how 3d objects are made of.

I have learned and practiced with Maya for several months and my teacher said that the big different between 3D films and games are the number of polygons! 3D films is unlimited but games have limit. is that right ?

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by Hoang-Hai-Tran-Dang: I have learned and practiced with Maya for several months and my teacher said that the big different between 3D films and games are the number of polygons! 3D films is unlimited but games have limit. is that right ?

Games need to provide at least 24 fps but for a movie shot for the same machine may not be able to render a single frame in 10 min. As games are programs and interaction with CG objects in realtime, the artists work for it cleverly to keep the polycount as low as possible so that the computer can handle it efficiently and provide the gamer an efficient fps. But when it comes to movies, artists main consideration is not the polycount, but the look as that is not needed to be realtime. For example displacement maps are highly used where the polycount for each object is so extensive but the result is a absolute displacement. But for games, some fake displacement techniques are used which are called bump mapping and normal mapping etc. There are many other facts. Keep learning, you will discover them yourself.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by Zhbdcafe: Games need to provide at least 24 fps but for a movie shot for the same machine may not be able to render a single frame in 10 min. As games are programs and interaction with CG objects in realtime, the artists work for it cleverly to keep the polycount as low as possible so that the computer can handle it efficiently and provide the gamer an efficient fps. But when it comes to movies, artists main consideration is not the polycount, but the look as that is not needed to be realtime. For example displacement maps are highly used where the polycount for each object is so extensive but the result is a absolute displacement. But for games, some fake displacement techniques are used which are called bump mapping and normal mapping etc. There are many other facts. Keep learning, you will discover them yourself.

Thank you very much i'll remember it

12 December 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread