3dsmax 2014 and AfterEffects CC Gamma is all messed up......

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
3dsmax 2014 and AfterEffects CC Gamma is all messed up......

I am having so much trouble with the latest eversions of 3dsmax and After Effects. My old process with prior versions were like this:

Render out .EXR 16bit format with velocity channel.

Import into AfterEffects. Right click on file for interpret footage to color management and click preserve RGB.

Composite and render out uncompressed .png sequence.

Now I try doing the same process in max 2014 and AE cc and I get major gamma shifts. Not sure where its occuring ing the process. I know max now has a default gamma setting with all renders? The problem actually occurs when I render out of AE cc? I import the .exr in AE(looks correct), do my compositing but when i render out the sequence it changes the gamma? Looks correct in AE when I import it, looks correct in my AE screen. But at the last step of rendering out the .png the gamma shifts? I've never really messed with different working space settings? Is there something new in AE cc and final render settings I am supposed to take into account? Anyone having similar issues?

11 November 2013
3dsmax: when you render specific to EXR, your GAMMA render output setting must be set to 1

customize > Preferens settings > gamma and lut > output gamma = 1

Done (I hope... did it help?).

11 November 2013
Thats the main problem I believe. There is no more output gamma setting in 2014?

11 November 2013
Then its your lucky day.. because I do a lot of Maxscript

macroScript gammaOne
	category:"Andersen Tools"
	tooltip:"Set File Output Gamma to 1.0"
	buttonText:"Gamma 1.0"

(
	fileoutgamma = 1.0
	messagebox "Highfive! Your File Output Gamma is now 1.0 "
)

macroScript gammaTwoTwo
	tooltip:"Set File Output Gamma to 2.2"
	buttonText:"Gamma 2.2"

(
	fileoutgamma = 2.2
	messagebox "Highfive! Your File Output Gamma is now 2.2 "
)

macroScript ReadOutGamme
	tooltip:"Show FileOutGamma"
	buttonText:"Show FileOutGamma"
(
		messagebox ("Wow.. Your Bitmap Output Gamma is: " + (fileoutgamma as string) )
)

Install:
1. Maxscript > New Script
2. Paste the code above into the "new script window"
3. Press CTRL + E
4. Close the script window

5. Customize > Customize User Interface > Toolbar > set category to: Andersen Tools
6. Drag the 3 different scripts to the Toolbar..

Enjoy and start dancelike this:

11 November 2013
I appreciate the script!! Tried it out, still same problem. I will put together a step by step process with screen shots to show what the heck is going on.

11 November 2013
Ok I might be zeroing on the problem. Might not even be the programs. Started a new job, new computer, max 2014, after effects cc.

The render window in max, the colors are slightly more vibrant. Save out a open exr with 2.2 output and import into after effects. Color looks correct. Render straight out of AE and the colors are slightly diluted.

Did some more tests to show some images on here. I did a screenshot of the render window on my monitor. Opened photoshop and pasted. Got the diluted looking image. Seems like this is some sort of videocard problem?

11 November 2013
Do some videocards alter gamma program specifically? I looked up a desktop background in google chrome. saved it, opened it up in image viewer and the colors are different......

Last edited by DB3D : 11 November 2013 at 09:37 PM.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread