Gold coin help - one side dark

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Gold coin help - one side dark

Hey guys! I'm at my wits end with this material. As you can see, the image is from the King's Treasure challenge. I decided to give it a go for the fun of it. Well, it's been anything but fun. The coin is killing me. Right now I'm using a mia_material_x, with a diffuse, spec map plugged into reflectivity, a normal map and a Displacement. Also an HDR image plugged in to the environment of the SG node. A couple of things: I can't get it to reflect anything on one side... it's dark, while the other side of the coin is bright. I a little reflection of the environment would be good to. No matter what I do, I can't figure out what is causing one side to be brighter than the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg king_treasure.jpg (95.6 KB, 18 views)

01 January 2013
Hey,

Do the coins have thickness? or just round circles?

01 January 2013
they are indeed a cylinder, so yeah.. they are thick. I checked normals, just to be sure and they're all going in the correct direction.

01 January 2013
Double check if they're using the same material?

01 January 2013
Aren't the normals locked on those faces?
just to be sure of textures, would you disconnect all your textures including normal and disp maps and see if the problem still persists?

01 January 2013
Displacement removed = same problem
Reflection/Spec map removed = same problem
Normal map removed = material goes black in hypershade, renders with out diffuse... but at least the gloss is uniform. Maybe I'll opt for a regular bump instead and try that.

01 January 2013
Ok... it was most definitely my normal map, although I don't know why. Putting a regular bump on it fixed it. Thank you for the responses. Its something I should have known, but after working on something, you need a fresh set of ideas sometimes. Thanks!

01 January 2013
Glad you got that problem fixed.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread