Sunset Grove - Guinevere & Lancelot, Renee Bailey (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
Sunset Grove - Guinevere & Lancelot, Renee Bailey (2D)

Title: Sunset Grove - Guinevere & Lancelot
Name: Renee Bailey
Software: Photoshop

This is a huge take on a DSG topic acutally.

But later that same day the topic was announced, I got a massive inspiration while driving.

I just had this moment, when this image crystallized crisp in my mind, to where I had to put aside my plans of other pieces and work this one out. I almost got it to how I 'saw' it -- but boy I still have a long, long way to go.

Thanks for all the help in my WIP thread!

Photoshop, Intuos3, 10+ hours (at least!)

-L.H.

Portfolio

05 May 2006
OH! You finished it. Excellent!
And I can be the first to congratulate you!
The work on the leaves is brilliant. Love the deep orange colour. The sunset is beautiful.
I'd hate to be an ass though, but i have to say i liked the rays the way they were beforehand in your WIP, because they are too narrow and intense, whereas before they were much softer and wider. But i really like the highlights on the trees.
This really is a big improvement from the last pic you submitted. 4 stars!

05 May 2006
Wheeee!

Shhh, don't say anything Pap - I wanted this to be done -- when you mention stuff it makes me want to go back, since what you say usually improves everything!!

Thanks for all the help - you've really no idea how much I appreciate and need it!!

-L.H.

Portfolio

05 May 2006
Nice. That's a solid piece you have right there.

05 May 2006
Thanks Salubri I kinda hate it now - but isn't that what happens to everybody? lol

-L.H.

Portfolio

05 May 2006
Wow, beautiful!

05 May 2006
why thankya!

EDIT:

Alright, start ripping me a new one people - I need crits, please!?!

-L.H.

Portfolio

Last edited by LabyrinthineMind : 05 May 2006 at 05:04 PM.

05 May 2006
Hi Noticing the lack of crits, I'll give it a go, though I'm not the most qualified critic lol.

First, I like the concept, the colours, the light, the beautiful details in the trees. The thing that stands out to me is that the figures are too far away and too indistinct to really capture the focus of the painting. The trees are painted in such nice detail, and placed in such a way that they dominate, while the main figures fade into almost nothing. I think it might (?) be the concept of the painting that they are fading into the background (sort of walking into the sunset, which is a great idea!) but if there were just a bit more to distinguish them from the surroundings, especially if they were a bit closer and larger, I think it might be more effective. Also, check the angle of the sunbeam furthest into the trees, I think it might not be leading from the light source, and is pointing above the sun?

That said, I like the painting very much

Now you can feel free to crit (rip me a new one, in other words!) any of my work in the future, heh...I need feedback too! I think I might start posting in the wip section...did you get more feedback there?

05 May 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread