PC Build 3dsmax modeling/animation + Vray rendering

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

4 Weeks Ago
PC Build 3dsmax modeling/animation + Vray rendering

HI,
I am a design student and I model my Yacht designs in Rhinoceros & export it to 3dsMax and decorate + texture it to later render it in Vray.

I need some help with selecting parts that would suit my need.
3d modelling - Rhinoceros
Animation & Rendering - 3dsmax + Vray 
Budget: ± £1200
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ssNZVY#problems

As you can see, I have selected some parts which in my opinion suits my needs. However, I have a limited knowledge of hardware and right combinations of parts and stuff. Any feedback on my potential build would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Jesse

4 Weeks Ago
Are you aware that there is now Skylake-X which is a 2066 socket?

Last edited by SD3D : 4 Weeks Ago at 10:18 PM.

4 Weeks Ago
If you could raise your budget by a 100£ this would be a much better build PCPartPicker part list 

4 Weeks Ago
Double post... 

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by FatherN: If you could raise your budget by a 100£ this would be a much better build PCPartPicker part list 
Thank you for your list!

Can you please guide me through the list and explain why it would be better? I'd appreciate that.
- I looked up both CPUs (8700k and 6850k), the 8700k seems better overall. However, in the comparison, they say that the 8700k has less memory bandwidth than the 6850k. Would that affect me in any way?
- Why did you go for a CPU liquid cooler and why not a sleeve bearing cooler? 
- Couldn't really find much on the motherboard. Why is yours preferred?

Thank you in advance

Jesse

4 Weeks Ago
Don't go for water-cooling in your workstation because:
There are more points of failure: Pump-failure, leakage/evaporation.
They tend to be noisier.
Unless your hobby is overlocking, they are unnecessary.
You want simplicity and reliability over everything else.

There, you just saved ~£100 by not going  for water-cooling. (The cooler and the case to accommodate the radiator).

The socket 2011-3 is ideal for workstations but has since been replaced by the 2066 socket. The benefits of both of these sockets are: They can take 128GB of RAM instead of 64GB, have four 16XPCI-e slots which is a great benefit if you have the money for 4 top-of-the-line graphics-cards for GPU rendering, they can also accommodate processors with many more cores. However, there is a trade-off between core-count and core-speed. Only in tasks like rendering do core-numbers above 4 really matter. For everything else you want fewer and faster cores.
With a small budget, I don't know if you'd benefit from either the 2011-3 or the 2066 sockets as high-core-count processors are still really expensive. Whilst either 2011-3 or 2066  would offer a greater upgrade-path in the future, you never invest in computer-parts! You buy only what you need at the time. So there might be a case for a socket other than these two, but 2011-3 should be quite cheap now that its successor is out, so I don't know.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Jhuijser: Thank you for your list!

Can you please guide me through the list and explain why it would be better? I'd appreciate that.
- I looked up both CPUs (8700k and 6850k), the 8700k seems better overall. However, in the comparison, they say that the 8700k has less memory bandwidth than the 6850k. Would that affect me in any way?
- Why did you go for a CPU liquid cooler and why not a sleeve bearing cooler? 
- Couldn't really find much on the motherboard. Why is yours preferred?

Thank you in advance

Jesse
The fact is that 8700K would be better in every scenario. Memory bandwidth would be important only in some memory intensive tasks, but the difference wouldn't be noticeable in any of them. 

I prefered the AIO cooling in your case because 8700K could get quite hot during rendering (you're using Vray cpu, aren't you?) and if you want to keep it cool enough then the air-cooler alternative would be a top Noctua/BeQUiet/Cryorig air cooler, and these parts are quiet bulky and heavy. A 30$ air cooler like the 212 Hyper Evo wouldn't do the job imo. 

As for the motherboard, Asus TUF series products have a 5 year warranty because they use premium high-quality components (capacitors etc) and are said to be highly reliable and durable. 

reply share thread