Outliner 2.0 Scene Management tool

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2015
I am still using it in 2015. I think it's far better user experience than max's native "bootleg" outliner. Please reconsider and please resume the development. Lots of people will be happy to pay for it.

01 January 2015
Originally Posted by Pjanssen: Hi guys,

I have decided to stop the development of the Outliner. There are basically two major reasons for this decision:

1. I don't want to have to compete with Autodesk
The Scene Explorer got a bit of an overhaul in 3dsMax 2015, with some of its new features being based on the Outliner. Even though Autodesk may not have the best reputation in continued development of new tools, it does seem likely to me that more features will be added in the future. If they do, it would make the Outliner less useful over time. And I'm not going to develop new features just to have Autodesk "copy" them, however flattering that may be.

2. 3dsMax is not a good platform for developers
Developing tools with maxscript is not too bad, but the C++ SDK is a different story. It's poorly documented and without any support, it's pretty hard to work with. The C# wrapper for the SDK makes it worse by being incomplete and convoluted. Some things you would really want to be able to do are plain impossible (catching errors in a generic way for example).
So it's simply not fun developing plugins for 3dsMax. And the fact that I would have to pay for a full license just to develop the Outliner doesn't help either.

I've made the source code for the Outliner 3.0 as it is today available under the MIT open source license on GitHub: https://github.com/Pjanssen/Outliner-3.0 So it's free for everyone to continue developing it. I would be happy to provide some support there.

Finally, thank you to everyone who has supported this project over the past six years through feature ideas and donations. The interaction with all of you has been a really positive experience!

Just a reminder of the reason Pier quit development, understandable.

I still would like to know if the workflow tools are available, and if the "add node" can be made into a standalone .ms to be added to a shortcut so I can add objects to the current selected layer.

Someone PLEASE take this up and develop it, I'm still converting Max 2015 users to 2.1.5 every week, and they all love it.

01 January 2015
Yep, same here. With SP3 of 3ds Max 2015, Autodesk introduced new bugs that cause heavy scene lagging as long as Scene explorer is displayed anywhere. It's an irony that service packs from Autodesk actually bring more bugs instead of removing them.

So i installed Outliner and finally remember again how a great scene explorer is supposed to work. It's vastly superior over Autodesk's official scene explorer, which will probably never be fixed, just degrading further due to their incompetence.

I would be willing to pay for the new Outliner 3 without any problems.

02 February 2015
Originally Posted by spoodge: I still would like to know if the workflow tools are available, and if the "add node" can be made into a standalone .ms to be added to a shortcut so I can add objects to the current selected layer.

You don't need .ms file. The old action is still there in "Layers" category.
Just go Customize User Interface dialog > Layers category.
The first item is "Add Selection to Current Layer".
You can make the action as shortcut/button/quad menu item.

But, remember it will add object to "Current(Active)" layer.
The layer has blue icon is active layer.
"Add Selection to Selected Layer" is impossible because...
1) You can select multiple layers now.
2) Selecting layer will deselect objects from viewport.

07 July 2015
i am trying to install outliner 2 on max 2015.

i extracted the mzp on my harddrive. i changed the name of the folder ''script'' to ''outliner''. do i now need to move all folders and files to max 2015?

with getdir #userscripts i found out where under AppData i have my scripts folder. i copied outliner folder here. i went into max and loaded all macroscripts and press ctrl+e. restart Max. i get an error that Outliner core failed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg max54534534.JPG (12.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by ice-boy : 07 July 2015 at 10:15 AM.

reply share thread