CGTalk > Techniques > Texturing and Surfacing
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Ryokukitsune
UserNode1.OutSarcasum
Andrew
USA

need help with hard surface UV/texturing; tutorials, lectures?

threw out my amateur career as an artist I've restricted myself to mostly simple hard surface assets and organic characters with hard surface details. Of all the things I've textured over the years hard surface objects have given me the most trouble to texture so much so I always avoided it. I can model them just fine and my early (lost) portfolio was filled with weapons models that either where generically textured with procedural shaders or flat rendered with ambient occlusion to hide the fact that I was stumped on how to layout the UVs

Now a number of years later I want to get back to my CG “roots” and work on some pre-gen game assets and hard surface models have become one of my biggest stumbling blocks. I've started three projects in the past three months and stalled when it came time to prepare the projects for texturing and I realize I have a pretty big problem.

I'm hoping someone can direct me towards tutorials or lectures, doesn’t matter the software, that cover the pipeline of laying out and texturing hard surface models. While my assets are complex weapons models I sculpted in Zbrush I'd really like to nail down the process in Maya/MAX as those are the two environments I do my UV work in (as they have better control over the end result). I'm fluent in enough software that I could make it work if it was in blender or C4D if the presentation was clear enough on the concepts, just looking for a little help finding good ones as all the youtube tutorials seem to be lacking depth in that regard.

Thanks in advance!

Ryo

Last edited by Ryokukitsune : 10-31-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

I texture a lot of hard surface assets, so you may find some of these tutorials useful:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educa...g_education.htm

I've also always liked this tutorial:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=373024

If you want to stick to more traditional uvs.

- Neil

Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread