Eaze

portfolio
Frédéric Porta
Animator / CG artist
LISAA
Athens, Greece

C4D R13 ViewPort Bug

Hi
I'm having a serious bug in C4D, Everything works perfectly but after some time ( can be 2mins or 30..) The viewport gets kinda stuck, i can navigate around like usual but i can't select anything. The only way to select something is through the Object manager but then. It's like if C4D got stuck in move mode. If i switch to rotate or scale the guismo change but it doesnt scale or rotate ... It moves
Restarting Cinema doesn't fix the problem, the only way i found so far is to reboot the computer..

I have Windows 7 Pro Sp1 64bit with a i7 CPU 920, Nvidia Quadro FX 1800.
I updated / reinstalled every drivers, i even got the Beta one for the Graphic card.
The Cinema 4D version is R13.029.
I only have problems in C4D, with Maya and Max everything is working perfectly.

Any thought ? I tryed to look for similar problem with similar config but can't find anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
marshalartist
Lord of the posts

Peter Robinson
CIC
Stockport, United Kingdom

Are you manipulating elements from old scene files like version 11.5 and before because a lot of the deformers cause problems like this and the morph tag.
I can not believe their has not been any bug fix updates yet, there is quite a lot to fix.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Eaze

portfolio
Frédéric Porta
Animator / CG artist
LISAA
Athens, Greece

Hey thanks for taking some time to help me!

Sadly i'm using new scenes builded in R13. It happens even with a single primitive cube. And the bug last even after restarting the app.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
penboack
Penboack
portfolio
Charles Kirk
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalartist
Are you manipulating elements from old scene files like version 11.5 and before because a lot of the deformers cause problems like this and the morph tag.
I can not believe their has not been any bug fix updates yet, there is quite a lot to fix.

There has been one update.

http://www.maxon.net/downloads/upda...ema-4d-r13.html

Ezae, Have you reported this issue to Maxon support?

Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
fluffouille
Booh

Sébastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA

This is a very old bug, never really identified (a ghost in the machine, you could say).
It usually occurs on larger scenes and is very random. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #6
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Have you updated your graphics card drivers? Do you get the same problem with software shaded mode?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
Eaze

portfolio
Frédéric Porta
Animator / CG artist
LISAA
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Ezae, Have you reported this issue to Maxon support?

I guess i'll have to.
Quote:
This is a very old bug, never really identified (a ghost in the machine, you could say).
It usually occurs on larger scenes and is very random. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer.

Right now i'm trying to work a quite high poly scene, but i recall that the problem was happening even before on smaller setup.
So you think there's no way to fix this ? I was thinking of formating and have a new clean install of windows. Do you think it would have any effect?
I'm glad to hear this bug is kinda known!

Quote:
Have you updated your graphics card drivers? Do you get the same problem with software shaded mode?

Yes i updated everything, even to beta.
I'll try to see if it happens in software shaded.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
fluffouille
Booh

Sébastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA

I doubt formatting would have any impact, unfortunately, as I've come across that bug for years, on numerous OSes (used to be Windows only, but I've seen it happen in OSX since R10).
And yes, it can also happen on smaller scenes, usually after having switched applications.

I have a small fix which works from time to time, as long as you act quickly once you notice the strange behavior: select and object, go to the coordinates manager, then in the scale X axis, type "-4". Somehow, this fixes it at least 50% of the time for me.
I also sometimes will continue to work with that broken navigation, and it will go away on its own (not always).

I have a feeling it's keyboard related, the key stays stuck somehow. Only happens in C4D.

I've reported the issue for years, but they have never identified the source (since it's so hard to reproduce).

Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Trident13
portfolio
Brent
Daktronics Inc
Saint Petersburg, USA

I'm having the same issue

Has anyone found a resolution for the above problem? The exact same thing is now happening to me. I'll be working in C4D R13 all day and then all of the sudden I'll go and try to rotate or scale an object and won't be able to by grabbing its handles. Also when selecting the camera and trying to grab the Focal length (orange dots), when I grab and move, nothing moves.
I've found that restarting the program will sometimes fix the problem. When that doesn't work I reboot the whole system. This fixes it sometimes as well. Then there are the rare occasions that by doing nothing more than a little web surfing and then going back to C4D it corrects itself. That's what just happened. I restarted C4D and it didn't fix it..then I went online and started typing this post and just went to try it again and somehow it works.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
fluffouille
Booh

Sébastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA

As I said previously, that bug has been present for years, and Maxon has never been able to fix it (as it's hard to reproduce).
Rebooting the machine should fix the issue 100% of the time, though. Sounds like it doesn't for you?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
DesignAmyte
Frequenter
noob
Amber, Austria

Hey,

try to "disable" the "Shading Linear Workflow" in the viewport-options.
It helps me in some cases, where i can´t select / viewport-error´s comes up.
That was on my older machine, with an older graphics card. Maybe this
can help......good luck.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

I'm with Sebastien on this one it sounds like the infamous old bug that I used to call the old scale bug but now it seems to happen with all sorts of tools it used to typically be scale, now move and rotate happen as much too.

For those encountering it, do you have a non standard HID device, something besides a typical mouse or keyboard, like a touchpad, tablet, spacemouse etc?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
gilmourmedia
Scout

portfolio
Chad Gilmour
Generalist
Turnstile Inc.
Dallas, USA

Turn Open GL back on?

I just started getting the "Software Shaded Mode" errors and I couldn't work in my viewport at all, but C4D was rendering just fine. In the end it was a simple fix; my "Use OpenGL" button had been automatically turned off for some reason. You can find it under Edit - Preferences - Open GL - Use OpenGL

Not sure if that will work for anyone else, but might be worth a look before doing anything drastic!

I'm using C4D Studio R14.034 on Mac OSX 10.7.5

Hope it helps!

Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread