How to achieve extreme gore?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2014
How to achieve extreme gore?

I am making a FPS game and I want extreme dismemberment. A lot like this

I want to import my model into unity and use ragdoll, and have the last piece of the body be shot off from the last bullet that killed the enemy.

1 : I don't really know how to model a character like this. What would be the best way of slicing up a model like that ghoul video YET keeping the rigging in tact and not be able to see the seams of the cuts with the rigging? Is there a way to cut up a model automatically. Also a way to expand the pieces outward in 3ds max like that video so I can fine tune the insides?

2 : How would you go about doing this.

3 : As for the way it will work in game I am thinking of putting colliders in between each chopped piece, and when the enemy dies that collider activates and pushes the chunk out and ragdolls takes effect sending the piece outward. But how can you let a chunk go lose with ragdoll if the rigging of the mesh keeps it intact?

Thanks in advance.

04 April 2014
Seems to me like SOF2 is geometry based while something like left 4 dead 2 is a mix of shader /mesh/ and decals:

I'm not sure there's a more in-depth explanation of their approach but here's the general idea:
http://alex.vlachos.com/graphics/Vlachos-GDC10-Left4Dead2Wounds.pdf

Quote: 1 : I don't really know how to model a character like this. What would be the best way of slicing up a model like that ghoul video YET keeping the rigging in tact and not be able to see the seams of the cuts with the rigging? Is there a way to cut up a model automatically. Also a way to expand the pieces outward in 3ds max like that video so I can fine tune the insides?

You start by rigging the character as a single mesh, then you duplicate the model (this will keep the skinning intact) simply go in sub object mode deleting parts you don't need. So for example i want the arm to be a "severable limb" then i select the portion needed, do an invert selection and delete all the other polygons. Repeat process for each "severable limb". Once you're done you can delete the master mesh with the rigging (always save first!). The next logical thing to do would be to link all those parts back to a center piece (like the hips in jedi academy). Next you create caps to close the open limbs, those will also be linked to their corresponding parent mesh.

The seams will look like smoothing groups have been applied to parts of the model, there's not a lot of ways around that, unless you carefully plan your seams where natural breaks occur because of different materials (like choppping off at the belt, boots etc.) I'm sure there's plugins in max that can cut up automatically, i recall seeing an exploding wall done with reactor, i think the cuts were automatically generated beforehand, but it's been a while...

As for expanding pieces...push modifier? shell modifier?

Last edited by Psyk0 : 04 April 2014 at 06:25 PM.

reply share thread