alembic in maya 2012? problems

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
alembic in maya 2012? problems

heya all,

i had made some other posts about issues with alembic, and only one answer that really did not address my question. i wont reiterate my other questions and issues, but i have come up against a new one. if i am just a fail 3d please feel free to tell me where i am screwing up.

i am working in maya 2012 with the service pack that included alembic on a windows box. using maya referencing.

so my current issue is with how alembic handles UVs. my current setup is that i have an animation scene with a rig (model with controls) referenced in. animators animate, and make cache using alembic. there is a 'UV Write' checkbox. until now i have always left that on. so the UVs go through with the cache.

in a lighting file i have a model referenced in(mesh with no controls) that then has the alembic cache applied to it. so all of this sort or works ok, well not really but i can manage to get the data through.

so just yesterday, modeller needed to change the UVs on the model and alter the texture a bit. i did not think this would be an issue (forgetting the UVs were going through). so i told ya go ahead and change up the model, just dont mess with the geo, number of verts etc.

so we replace the model, and voila, of course because the alembic cache is pumping into it the UVs are overwritten with the old UVs. my error, this at least is kind of logical.

so now that i have made all of you read a bazillion paragraphs, here is my problem. i unchecked the 'UV Write' box on the alembic export thinking that, oh, if i dont check this it will let the model keep whatever UVs are on it. sounds logical enough right? didn't work that way. when i uncheck the 'UV Write' box, export the alembic cache, and the apply it in the lighting scene with the model . . . IT WIPED OUT ALL THE UVS.

so as far as i can tell i only have two choices, let the rig control what UVs go through, or blow all the UVs away. is there an option where i can let the mesh receiving the alembic cache maintain its current UVs?

maybe just my fault for using alembic in 2012. i guess this was only for testing right? so far i have been really disappointed completely and utterly with how it works.

if i am a noob please tell me what i am doing wrong, i would truly appreciate it.

ty for reading my rant/issue.

" . . . the essential in life is invisible to the eye, one can only see rightly with the heart." (The Little Prince)

07 July 2012
Please post in the Maya forum. And please read the General Discussions rule thread before posting a thread there again :/

Thread Closed share thread