Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
UpperUltra
portfolio
Eric Hu
Gaithersburg, USA

brush settings

so what brush settings/presets should i use for a painterly feel? my strokes look like a bunch of overlapping circles rather than an actual paint stroke. i am using default settings with opacity and flow jitter set to pen pressure.

thanks for help!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
JadeMere

portfolio
Jade Mere
USA

Are you using photoshop? There are a ton of brush sets out there for a more painterly look, if you google, say, oil brushes for photoshop or even some artists from massive black give their brush sets online, you should be able to find some.

If you want only to use the basic photoshop brushes, I recommend a combination of a hard round 19 and a large, soft airbrush. By using both those brushes, you should be able to make hard edges hard while letting detail fade away with the soft airbrush, it should produce a more painterly look. The chalk brush is also great for texture. But the painterly look you can achieve so long as you block in your shapes and work on blending with large and small, hard and soft brushes

As for brush settings, it really depends on what kind of "painterly" look you're going for. Do you have any specific artists you like who produce the look you're going for?

Old 09-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
UpperUltra
portfolio
Eric Hu
Gaithersburg, USA

i was thinking this

http://mr--jack.deviantart.com/gallery/8724008#/d1wql7b

or this

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/viewe...warcraft&art=34

right now my brush strokes either look watery or flat if i press too hard. just comes with practice i guess?

Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
JadeMere

portfolio
Jade Mere
USA

Yep, everything comes with practice, I know a lot of artists post their process, if you're looking for exactly how they achieve their style: http://mr--jack.deviantart.com/gallery/9678590

But mostly it's knowing how to blend with the brushes you're using, doing grayscale studies with references helps to get familiar with brushes I'm still teaching myself Corel Painter, and I've been at it a while... Watching tuts on youtube can be good, too. The book Digital Painting Techniques (any volume, I think 3 is the latest) offers detailed descriptions of how to use various photoshop brushes to gain a painterly look, that would be my suggestion.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

A soft edge brush with low opacity will avoid the issues you mentioned. It still takes getting used to with a graphics pen, and practice should also help.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread