Viewport 2.0 - Incorporating reflection map into ramp shader?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Viewport 2.0 - Incorporating reflection map into ramp shader?

Hello!

I've just recently discovered the preview/texture testing blessing that is the ramp shader in combination with Viewport 2.0, but I've hit a snag. Basically, I have a tank of sorts with parts of varying reflective intensity. I can't really work out how to incorporate my reflectivity texture into the shader. One would think that it should be connected to the reflectivity value(s), but those seems to be restricted to single numeric values only. So... Any thoughts on where I should connect my reflection map?

02 February 2013
what kind of shader are you using? Reflectivity is usually an RGB value. Plug it into the reflective colour parameter or whatever similar name you have. otherwise, if you drag a ramp into something like a phong shader's Reflectivity parameter (scalar), it will connect it to outAlpha accordingly:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scalar_reflective_ramp.jpg (88.4 KB, 25 views)

02 February 2013
Viewport 2.0 is a really bad hack for something you want to see in the viewport.
Don't use it. period.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by cgbeige: what kind of shader are you using? Reflectivity is usually an RGB value. Plug it into the reflective colour parameter or whatever similar name you have. otherwise, if you drag a ramp into something like a phong shader's Reflectivity parameter (scalar), it will connect it to outAlpha accordingly:

As said, my question was about the RAMP SHADER specifically.

Originally Posted by refract: Viewport 2.0 is a really bad hack for something you want to see in the viewport.
Don't use it. period.

How thoroughly unhelpful of you. Could you try to answer the question I asked instead? The question wasn't whether or not to use Viewport 2.0.

02 February 2013
"I've just recently discovered the preview/texture testing blessing that is the ramp shader in combination with Viewport 2.0", you say.

Back here on Earth, .. we make spec maps for reflectivity and add them to a reflection slot to mask areas where we want the environment to reflect.
Otherwise, disengage the external dampener for the ramp shader and add accordingly while turning off Viewport 2.0. (It makes it difficult to see in the viewport and in the uv editor and also turns most images blurry in the viewport)

I say this in the most possible, nicest way of course.

02 February 2013
So, bottom line is that it's not possible to mask the reflections in the ramp shader in Viewport 2.0? If that is the case, that's all I needed to hear

02 February 2013
I just tried this on my end. Looks like it works. Use a simple checker map for spec, and mmb it (middle mouse button) the checker map to the left of the name of Specular color, or Specularity, or Reflectivity's selected value in the attribute editor of the Ramp shader...or others..
I have Viewport 2.0 on and I can't see it in the viewport... but if you render, its working.

trying to attach a file

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread