mixing two bumps in c4dtoA

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 06 June 2017   #1
mixing two bumps in c4dtoA

I am testing the latest c4dtoA demo and can't figure something out.

Is it possible to have 2 different bumps on a surface? I am rendering a complex label and I want one bump using an image to emboss some lettering, then another more subtle bump using a noise texture on the surface of the letters

I've tried using a mix node to mix the noise and the image, but it won't connect to the bump node.

I've tried piping the image and the noise into 2 x bump nodes, then piping that into a mix node, but that won't connect to the standard surface.

I then piped the noise and the image into 2 x bump nodes then into a layer_color node, this connected to the standard surface, but only seems to show what's in layer 1.

Anyone got a way to get this working?

Old 06 June 2017   #2
For the "layer_color node" method, have changed the blending mode either to Multiply or Screen? Because if not, it is only natural that Layer 1 is shown.

Old 06 June 2017   #3
tried that - still not getting two bumps to mix

stumped

is there an official c4dtoA forum anywhere?

Old 06 June 2017   #4
Composite node?

Old 06 June 2017   #5
Create two separate materials that you can assign to whatever polygon selection you wish?

edit: I think I misunderstood, apologies.

Last edited by Dazhai : 06 June 2017 at 04:47 PM.

Old 06 June 2017   #6
Perhaps a combination of a normal map and a bump map ...

https://support.solidangle.com/disp...l+and+Bump+Maps

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 06 June 2017   #7
Originally Posted by mitchino: tried that - still not getting two bumps to mix

stumped

is there an official c4dtoA forum anywhere?

Can you provide the file? I tried that earlier and it worked on me.

Old 06 June 2017   #8
If you're on Arnold 4.x (C4DtoA <= 1.8.0), just chain the bump/normal/whatever nodes together by hooking up their outputs into the shader input of the next node.

If you're on Arnold 5.x( C4DtoA >= 2.0.0), you need to hook the output from each bump map node into the "normal" input on the next bump map node, and the output from the last bump map node into the geometry port on the shader.

In either case, you should not need to use the layer_color node. Arnold supports mixing bump and normal maps properly without having to fiddle around with the textures like that.

-CMPX

Old 06 June 2017   #9
That doesn't work for me - I've got 2 x bump 2d nodes, each of these has a noise node plugged into it's bump map slot. One is a large scale noise set to a large bump. the other is a small scale noise set to a small bump.

Then one of the bump map nodes has it's output slot connected to the other's normal slot, which has it's output slot connected to the normal slot of the standard surface node.

I only see whichever bump is connected directly to the standard surface shader.
Attached Images
File Type: png arnold2bump.png (7.6 KB, 1 views)

Old 06 June 2017   #10
This doesn't work for me either...

Old 06 June 2017   #11
Here's one way to do it:

Pipe the two bumps into a composite node, and then pipe that into the bump2d shader.

Old 06 June 2017   #12
But that's not a composite of two bumps, it's a composite of two noises, with one bump amount.

I want to have a large bump that embosses some lettering, and then a finer bump on the surface of the lettering.

I need to control the height of each bump separately.

My large bump for the emboss is controlled by an image map, my small bump for the surface is controlled either by a noise, or by another image map.

Last edited by mitchino : 06 June 2017 at 09:45 PM.

Old 06 June 2017   #13
I can control the noise amplitudes independently...

...But I totally see your point. It would be much better if it worked the way you want it to, and the way it is apparently meant to...

Old 06 June 2017   #14
Yes that is a good workaround. I now have an image and a noise feeding into a composite node, then into a bump. The bump size in this node controls the height of my lettering, and the amplitude in the noise controls the fine bump on the lettering surface. The bump node then feeds into a standard surface which feeds into a layer node, along with a mask to control the shape of the lettering. Who said node based systems are easier? I could achieve the same result in c4d's native material system in 2 seconds!

Old 06 June 2017   #15
Hi, I would also try the Mix Shader node, you can feed two separate standard surface in it and blend the result, thus controlling the bumps independently.

reply share thread