addAttr: -at vs -dt for float3 or double3 - A conundrum!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #1
Question addAttr: -at vs -dt for float3 or double3 - A conundrum!

Hi all,

I've searched here on CGTalk and Googled as well, and can't find a good answer to this.

Maya's docs for the addAttr command indicate that for adding an attribute of type float3 or double3, if you specify the type using the "-at" flag, the attr will be compound, and not compound if specified using "-dt".

Also, from the doc page directly:

In most cases the -dt version will not display in the attribute editor as it is an atomic type and you are not allowed to change individual parts of it. All attributes flagged as "(compound)" below or the compound attribute itself are not actually added to the node until all of the children are defined (using the "-p" flag to set their parent to the compound being created).

But when I add an attribute thusly:

import pymel.core as pm
 myNode = pm.PyNode('locator1')
 pm.addAttr(myNode, sn='foo', dt='float3')

...performing a getAttr or getAttr -type yields a result of None.

Anybody know what's the scoop on this? All I want to do is add an attribute, using PyMEL, to an object to store a static XYZ coordinate. I don't need to access the component values individually, so I'd prefer not to have to use a compound attr.

Thanks

Old 01 January 2014   #2
just assign the needed data and it will work, also if you use float3 in the dt flag, getAttr will return the data as a python tuple, if you use double3, python will return the data as a pymel vector.

if you are working with the data in pymel the vector would be the preferable datatype to return.

import pymel.core as pm

cube = pm.PyNode('pCube1')
    cube.addAttr('testAttr', dt='float3')
    data = [0.5, 0.6, 0.7]
    cube.testAttr.set(data)

print type(cube.testAttr.get())
    # <type 'tuple'>
    print cube.testAttr.get()
    # (0.5, 0.59999999999999998, 0.69999999999999996)

import pymel.core as pm

cube = pm.PyNode('pCube1')
    cube.addAttr('testAttr', dt='double3')
    data = [0.5, 0.6, 0.7]
    cube.testAttr.set(data)

print type(cube.testAttr.get())
    # <class 'pymel.core.datatypes.Vector'>
    print cube.testAttr.get()
    # [0.5, 0.6, 0.7]

you should also make use of the object syntax more when using pymel, instead of getAttr and setAttr, you can simply access thigns like you would any other python object attribute, than use the get() and set() methods.

EDIT:
as a side note, if you create it this way, and not as a compound attribute, you will not be able to edit it in the channelBox or attributeEditor, you will only be able to get and set it;s data in code.
psLink - Maya PhotoShop intergration.

Last edited by CMCPasserby : 01 January 2014 at 01:10 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #3
Just a short hint - sorry, I didn't read the previous post, as it seemed to me to be to long to answer the question:
  • open up the script editor, select "echo all commands" from the history menu
  • choose some arbitrary node in the outliner
  • in the attribute editor, select from menu "Attributes->Add Attributes"
  • type in a name for the new attribute, select vector, hit add
  • observe the output in the script editor:
addAttr -ln "test"  -at double3  defaultObjectSet;
 addAttr -ln "testX"  -at double -p test  defaultObjectSet;
 addAttr -ln "testY"  -at double -p test  defaultObjectSet;
 addAttr -ln "testZ"  -at double -p test  defaultObjectSet;
 setAttr -type double3 defaultObjectSet.test 0 0 0;

There you have a working example ... (obviously you have to prepare the child attributes before you can talk to your new compound attribute).

Old 01 January 2014   #4
Thumbs up Solved

CMCPasserby,

Thank you for your reply; it was very helpful. The Maya docs should be updated to note that using the -dt flag in attribute creation requires a small leap of faith! I tried out what you suggested and it worked as you have said.

N.B.: in the end I had to go with using the -at flag, and three child attrs added separately. The reason is that the attr I'm adding is to be used as input to an attr on a custom DAG node I've written; the destination attr in question is created via

numericAttributeFn = OpenMaya.MFnNumericAttribute()
 myDagNode.myInputAttr = numericAttributeFn.createPoint('myLongName', 'myShortName')

Maya does not allow me to connect an attr created with dt='float3' or 'double3' to myDagNode.myInputAttr above, I think due to the 'atomic' nature of the source attr. If you know of any other method of creating a float/double vector or tuple type attr via the Python API, I'd be interested in hearing of it.

Thanks again.

Old 01 January 2014   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread