Buying zbrush or other license transfert, how can we pay the owner

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Buying used software - License transfert, which procedure pay the owner

Hello,
I want to buy a software from someone, but when it comes to pay the guy, me (the buyer) and the seller, begin to be afraid and are asking ourselves how can we trust the other when we don't know him, and that's justified. If I pay him before the transfert and he isn't honest, my money is gone and no software... : (
and if he transfers before I pay him, nothing guarantees him that I'll pay.
Isn't there a way of payment that makes everybody confident in this kind of sale? Paypal or whatever that can give a kind of security.
Thank you.

Last edited by boumay : 10 October 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #2
I don't think there's any services like that that offer protection unless you're using a specific service like eBay, even then there's no guarantee that they will make a correct decision if something goes wrong(like if you get scammed they might not necessarily side with you). First thing to do is make sure that the program you want to buy allows a license transfer in the first place.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Yes, this is zbrush so transfer is allowed.
The owner has the right to be afraid, and I fully understand that, all I can is give him word that I can't steal from somebody, that's just impossible, I'm a believer and I know I'll be judged for that...
I'm also afraid to pay first.
I hope he'll trust me, we'll see what's next.

Last edited by boumay : 10 October 2013 at 02:40 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #4
I think a common practice for online transfers (Such as buying web domain names from someone or in this case buying a software licence) is to use an 'Escrow Service' - a 3rd party that will act as an in-between for both the buyer and seller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow

I do not know of an online Escrow service that I could recommend but I guess a bit of research should find a good recommendation!

Post back here to let us know how the transfer goes and how you ended up doing it

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Ya know, I've been wanting to try my hand at Lightwave, but would rather buy an older version. However, I'm afraid to buy anything off of eBay just for the licensing issues.

Old 10 October 2013   #6
Paypal offers protection related to correspondence, so they can invoice you through your e-mail address, and you can make a payment with the note that you expect a license transfer within a week from payment, and if anything goes wrong you trust paypal to mediate based on correspondence and proof for a refund. It tends to protect the buyer more so than the seller, but not by a huge margin.

There are also third party services as mentioned that will hold your advanced payment until a form of proof both parties agree on is unilaterally or bilaterally presented by the seller or seller/buyer ( a mix of your e-mail confirmation and them forwarding the pixologic mail in example ), and will hold the funds if a dispute arises instead of acting on a reimbursement like paypal tends to be quick in doing. They of course charge a considerably higher percentage of the transaction to offer more extensive and personalized services.

This is not so much a CG related question though as much as one of online sales.
There are websites selling digital resources that deal with exactly the same kind of problems (people selling in-game resources or accounts for various MMORPGs in example) which you can search for recommendations of various services.

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Thank you all for your inputs.
I know this is not really CG related, but since it was zbrush... and I knew some of you will certainly have good advices, which was the case, and I know people are only guessing here, and I wasn't asking for more.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
I wasn't saying it's not CG related because I think the topic isn't appropriate for GD by the way, otherwise I probably would have just locked it It's a common enough dilemma that I think it's a nice thread to have around in fact. I mentioned because it's the kind of information you can find more extensively discussed elsewhere, so I would extend my search if I was you.

You are likely to be hit by a ton of crap looking for things such as buying accounts or games or digital resources, but with enough determination to sift through the crap I'm sure you can find something of use. Escrow services (mentioned above) are a good keyword to have in there probably.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Pixologic have a specific transfer procedure and transfer fee - licence transfers. Although this is to do with transfering the license and wouldn't guarantee the sale process, perhaps you could get in touch with them to, at the least, find out if there is a way to verify that the seller has a legit copy of ZBrush.

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Thank you again.
I think paypal should be fine.
As for asking pixologic about a user's license, is it legit or not, I was guessing they won't disclose such information, in order to protect their customers private circle.
Anyway, this thread has been useful, and I think paypal is the best and easiest way for me.

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread