Fantastic short film: "Silo"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 08 August 2014   #1
Fantastic short film: "Silo"

The first time I watched this I was so engrossed in the story I didn't even think to look for any VFX, but they're there. Check out the VFX reel, too.

Silo

VFX reel

Old 08 August 2014   #2
The only problem I had was that initially I didn't understand the missile was missing.

I knew the spilling paint gag was about that, but it didn't register at first. Probably needed two "hero shots" of the missile to give the gag more pay-off.

What did have a great pay-off was the last gag with the silo opening and the only thing he has left is that fake missile. :P

Old 08 August 2014   #3
Ha ha, pretty nice. If we all were launching paper rockets the world would be a better place.

Old 08 August 2014   #4
I enjoyed that.

Old 08 August 2014   #5
That was very enjoyable, moved along and told everything efficiently. I didn't have any problem with the missing gag, they covered enough previously used angles to tell you.

I think my only continuity gripe would be that he was continuing his painting of the bottom of the missile from the top floor.

Nice VFX breakdown, very tight and seamless stuff.

Old 08 August 2014   #6
Originally Posted by hypercube: I think my only continuity gripe would be that he was continuing his painting of the bottom of the missile from the top floor.

Yeah I think that's what triggered the "disconnect" for me. Was I saw the painting, fully expecting an angle "looking up at the rocket from the bottom"... And then it was one of the previous angles instead that was on a higher floor.

And then my brain went: "Wait! What happened?"

That's why I'm only suggesting that maybe it's easiest to go with the painting gag maybe being done twice, both with low-angle looking up at the rocket... Once with the rocket... and then another with the rocket going missing.

Yes I know that's "Hollywood obvious" editing.

reply share thread