Robots in caverns

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Robots in caverns

Hi Everyone,

I'm working in this concept to my portfolio and I would like

your suggestion for improve it,

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robots_guitarra_v2.jpg (92.0 KB, 73 views)

Old 10 October 2012   #2
You've got too much contrast everywhere, and the lighting doesn't make much sense.

Your scene is not in some commercial photography studio where there are dozens of light banks, so don't paint your robots as if they are lit by dozens of bright lights. You've got two main light sources in this scene, that's it.

The female robot is back-lit, so other than the rim-lighting from the moon, she should be a dark silhouette. But you have a blue hologram thing that's lighting her from the front, so her front should be the same blue cast as the blue hologram light source, not merely reflect it, but be colored by it. Think about how in movies, when the power goes out and the emergency red light is turned on, everything in the scene becomes completely red. This is because that red emergency light becomes the sole light source, and the color cast of the light source will determine the color of everything lit by it. The front side of the female robot isn't getting light from the moon, so the blue hologram becomes its sole light source.

On the male robot. the two light sources will mix on surfaces that both can reach, but on areas that the moon cannot reach, the blue hologram's color will dominate (such as the form/cast shadows caused by the moon).

Don't define rocks with soft brush--they look mushy and lack a sense of structure and form. Rocks are often sharp. Also, having sharp textures on top of soft and mushy looking rock formation looks very inconsistent--they look like the textures are floating in front of the rocks instead of being the rock's actual surface.

I don't quite understand the cityscape. It almost looks like you have a cityscape done as dark silhouette, then there's the lighter value used to paint something that almost looks like reflection in a glass window--in other words, the lighter values look like they are superimposed over the dark silhouettes on another plane altogether, instead of them being one and the same structures.

The clouds--you need to study how the moon actually light the clouds at night. Google for images of moonlit clouds.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Wink

Thanks for your commentaries Robert,

I was using a soft brush for the rocks and texture. And I was really confused about lights. With sparckles. This image is changing now.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
work in progress

I feel my robots needs more. but I would love to know how do you feel when you see this peinture... Your commentaries are welcome always. Many Thanks.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Looks much more convincing.

I don't think you need all those sparkly highlights on the robots--they're unnecessary.

The forms of the rocks are still painted with soft brushes and lack definition in shape.

We should see the moonlight on them as rim-lighting, and probably on the clouds. Even the buildings should have highlights from the moonlight. Always keep in mind that the moon is basically just reflecting the sunlight, so it's like a much weaker version of the sun, with the same color cast as sunlight.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
In progress

Thanks for your comments. I worked in this image, less sparkles. What do you think? Many thanks.

Old 12 December 2012   #7
The modeling of your forms on the robots is a bit flat in some areas. You need to give the cylindrical forms enough form shadow to suggest round shapes.

The lighting from the moonlight is still not obvious enough. I suggest you bring down the brightness of the entire image, and then paint a distinct rim-lighting from the moon on everything that the moonlight can reach.

Look at these examples:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-p4s4EHYEh...batman_moog.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NzdyeJxBl...urminimoys4.jpg

http://softwreper.com/images/moonlight-city-10.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3399...17ef1483d_o.jpg

If you haven't seen this helpful tutorial on lighting, you really should take a look:
http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

You should do better research on how cities really look when lit by the moon too. There are lots of photos like that out there--just google for "moonlight cityscape."

I don't understand all those vertical streaks you added to the background that obscure the city. What are they supposed to be?

Old 12 December 2012   #8
Thanks Lunatique

You are super! thank you very much. Merry Christmas and very happy season to you and everyone in the talk forum. So I continue with the images robots concept.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread