The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Jonathan Ridley

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2006   #16
Coloring WIP: The Boy and his Robot

The piece is now getting a few tonal additions, i've also redrawn the crowd and put a bit of colour on the robot just as a taster of what he'll look like when he's complete.
I also made his eyes kind of crazy looking, not sure if i'll keep that or not, just playing around atm. Please make a comment someone cos' i'm starting to feel like a leper!

The Journey Begins

Strange Behaviour

Old 05 May 2006   #17
very cool composition and character creation. the depth in the piece is fantastic, as is the sense of motion and mood. nice work!

Old 05 May 2006   #18
Coloring WIP: A Boy and his Robot

Jeez, only 18 days to go, i'm starting to feel the time pressure now!
Well, in this update ive done most of the tonal and light things i need to do for now so the next stage is to start painting this sucker!(thanks for you comment Jevinart, i appreciate it)

The Journey Begins

Strange Behaviour

Old 05 May 2006   #19
Coloring WIP: A boy and his robot

Started to lay down a few base colours and a sky, also played about with blur a bit to recede things into the background, although that can be changed. Theres only 2 weeks to go yet I still feel there is a long way to go.
This piece has really been a learning process, and i still have a lot to learn. Does anyopne have any tips where i should go with this now/what they think might work well(i am using painter and photoshop, mainly photoshop so far), i always appreciate feedback.

The Journey Begins

Strange Behaviour

Old 05 May 2006   #20
Coloring WIP: The boy and his robot

One last update before stopping work for today, added a few more highlights and shadows, a bit of mist etc. its been a busy day today but the piece is one small step closer to completion.

The Journey Begins

Strange Behaviour

Old 05 May 2006   #21

A bit more work done to develop the colour and blending along with a bit more work on the lake...

The Journey Begins

Strange Behaviour

Old 05 May 2006   #22
Hey - Great fun design and nice sky. Perhaps the mountains in the distance could be a little more 'faded' to give a more far away feel and give the piece more depth..?

Enjoy!

Q

Old 05 May 2006   #23

laying down some texturs and trying to increase the depth a bit. It's starting to near completion but i know im going to be adjusting this right up to the last minute.
I've never spent this long on a digital art piece, its only my 2nd 'proper' piece of digital art so it has been a learning experience to get this far.
Hopefully next time i do a piece such as this i'll have a bit more experience and will be able to work a little bit quicker...
Sadly my computer has been crashing a bit becasue the filesize was creeping up and up as i added more layers and i lost about an hours worth of work today...two steps forward one step back.

The Journey Begins

Strange Behaviour

Old 05 May 2006   #24

laying down some texturs and trying to increase the depth a bit. It's starting to near completion but i know im going to be adjusting this right up to the last minute.
I've never spent this long on a digital art piece, its only my 2nd 'proper' piece of digital art so it has been a learning experience to get this far.
Hopefully next time i do a piece such as this i'll have a bit more experience and will be able to work a little bit quicker...
Sadly my computer has been crashing a bit becasue the filesize was creeping up and up as i added more layers and i lost about an hours worth of work today...two steps forward one step back.

The Journey Begins

Strange Behaviour

Old 05 May 2006   #25
I think you should rework the main characters- something about them doesn't really fit into the landscape- they look rather simplified compared to the background. I know it's at a late stage, but try out a few different concepts and see how they fit in?

Old 05 May 2006   #26
Originally Posted by paperclip: I think you should rework the main characters- something about them doesn't really fit into the landscape- they look rather simplified compared to the background. I know it's at a late stage, but try out a few different concepts and see how they fit in?

Thanks for your thoughts.
I certainly will be re-working the main characters but not to change the basic look of them, i like the compositon and the characters, however, they will have more detail and things added to them though to increase their detail.
The actual process is really hitting the point now where i stop colouring and start trying to imagine it as a painting, its really about playing with the image and experimenting now.
As I said in my previous post it's only my 2nd proper digital piece and im still learning about the best way to replicate my approach when i use traditional media and really this is where i am now, at the stage where rip apart and repaint but keeping the integrity of the original design.
I'm cutting it very fine but im 20-30 hours in and still maybe 10 hours away(hopefully no more that that!) from completion and i never thought it would take this long when i started so i just have to see what i can do in the next 7 days...

The Journey Begins

Strange Behaviour

Old 05 May 2006   #27
something seems to be missing in the persperctive, there seems to be no depth to this piece, maybe add some more atmospheric fog to the background, and rework that cliff in front of the two main characters.

Old 05 May 2006   #28
The Boy and his Robot

this is a duplicate entry, whoops!

The Journey Begins

Strange Behaviour

Last edited by Vitreous : 05 May 2006 at 11:45 PM. Reason: duplicate.

Old 05 May 2006   #29
Final Image: The Boy and his Robot

'And so they walked out of the wastes, following the procession.
Although the boy knew that the robot was the only thing that was left of his father, his legacy to him, he still resented the robot for not being his father.
The boy knew that this was where they could find the trains, the arteries of this shambling kingdom, and maybe the trains would take them both to his mother.'
This is my first competition entry and has been a very steep learning curve for me as I am pretty new to digital art. I feel I've learnt a great deal and wish everyone luck.

The Journey Begins

Strange Behaviour

Old 05 May 2006   #30
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread