Help with my holiday scene

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2005
Help with my holiday scene

Looking for some help here with surfaces....

1. How can I achieve a satin ribbon look? Right now it's looking like paper. I'm trying to get that banded look typical of shiny ribbon

2. My Specularity isn't showing up as much as I would like. The ribbon and present both have specularity levels over 50% but it's still very matte looking. I'm using a big area light, Fprime's Raydiosity and an HDR Texture World environment as the Backdrop

Any other suggestions to make this scene more realistic? I'm trying for an indoor photo shoot appearance

thanks for any help

11 November 2005
Maybe a procedural texture on the specularity set really narrow to simulate the material?

11 November 2005
Things you can do:
1) Have one or more spec only lights, maybe only shining in the ribbon
2) crank up the Spec
3) Apply reflection (spec is basically pseudo reflection)
4) use incidence angles on your spec and reflection channels

Ok, that will give you some things to play with.
Wrapping paper looks good. Could have some extra sheen to it though.

11 November 2005

Here's an update. I basically used the Gold material preset and made it red for the ribbon. Still not as good as I would like though

I added a point light for Specular only and that helped a little, mostly for the wrapping paper. I also added a little reflectivity.

Any other suggestions?

11 November 2005
Have you tried making material texture and then using it as a bump map..
THen raise the specularity a little..

WIP-Myron Brophy

11 November 2005
boy that wrapping paper looks nice how did ya do that?

11 November 2005
Originally Posted by Eclyps19: boy that wrapping paper looks nice how did ya do that?

Probably not a very professional way It's a subpatched box with polys twisted and points pulled until I got the creases. The wireframe looks like a mess. The flaps of paper were beveled out to a point and then I just folded them down.

The surface was a lot of trial and error. I wanted this to be my first UV mapping, but I had problems and ran out of time so it's just projection mapping with a lot of tweaking.

11 November 2005
More reflection, probably with an incidence angle.

I usually use spots as spec only lights so I can focus the spec hit. Make the ribbon a separate object so you can have the spec lights hit only the ribbon.

Wrapping paper looks just fine. The tape got worse, though.

Another thing would be to either make a new ribbon or create a morph where it's flat and make a UV map. Then create a map with lines going down the length (like hair) and use this for bump (and maybe to alpha spec/reflection). Satin has a very fine weave if you look close.

11 November 2005
yea, I agree. A lengthened micro procedural texture will help a lot here. Also, try to relapse the satin effect into specular channel using BRDF shader or Pipari's hair shader to get that nice anysotropic look. Nice paper texture, btw

Gerardo

11 November 2005

thanks, folks

Here's an update. Incidence angle on the reflection seemed to do the trick. Much better. thanks

Tape still needs work. It's too reflective

I also added a bump for some denting in the ribbon.

Anyone see anything else that could be improved?

11 November 2005
Do you have colored hilights on?
Your spec/ref is only red.
Might be a holdover from when you first tried that other preset

11 November 2005
Originally Posted by Zarathustra: Do you have colored hilights on?
Your spec/ref is only red.
Might be a holdover from when you first tried that other preset

Good eye...I hadn't noticed.

I reduced the Color Hilights but it looked really bad. Does it look unrealistic in its current state?

11 November 2005
Color filter, color hilights, all that stuff I never use. I never saw the point.
Is it realistic now? Google "satin ribbon" for images and you tell me.

11 November 2005
Perhaps try adding some texture on the ribbon, it looks a little smooth at the moment. Perhaps a fine weave texture on the bump map.

11 November 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread