Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Opening Cinematic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #46
I think realistic cg humans in animation would be useful in a project like a version of the Iliad (animation would probably be the only medium where it could work).
Uncanny valley issues might even be an asset in the depiction of angels or deities.
One could also design the human bodies exactly as one chooses--which is also why it would be ideal for super hero stories--much more so than live action ever could be.
You would have complete control over the look of the character, the voice, and have them move with perfect athleticism.

Personally if there was going to be stylized animation I would prefer they experiment with a painted style--perhaps giving it an Alex Ross look.

Dont see it happening but that's where I would want to see cgi animation go.

Old 08 August 2013   #47
Originally Posted by kelgy: Personally if there was going to be stylized animation I would prefer they experiment with a painted style--perhaps giving it an Alex Ross look.

Yes! Yes! This is the point I have always been trying to make.

"Alex Ross' art is Stylized, Jim Lee's art is Stylized."

If you stylize something, without resorting to that grotesque "Haddock Nose" or those balloon-sized saucer eyes.... The Uncanny Valley should/could still NOT apply to your work.

That's my view of it... I always put only limited value in "realism". Like Alex Ross and Jim Lee, my personal goal usually is more the "sensation" of realism.... Not actual realism.

Old 08 August 2013   #48
I've been waiting for a convincing NPR painted look all these years, and I'm very disappointed that it hasn't happened yet. I think Bolt could have done it if they had pushed that painted look in the backgrounds much further and also used it on the foreground too. I don't know if they even tried to take it that far, or they only wanted it to be very subtle and only in the background. In the examples (in the Art of Bolt book) they showed where the effect is really pronounced, the result looked so convincing and expressive. I hope the people behind it try it again and push it even further next time.

Old 08 August 2013   #49
I think the Last of Us videogame is a good example of a not entirely realistic, somewhat painterly looking style. They had to rely on some interesting lighting tricks and lots of baking and compression to get the game run fast enough, but somehow they turned it into an advantage.

Old 09 September 2013   #50
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: I think the Last of Us videogame is a good example of a not entirely realistic, somewhat painterly looking style. They had to rely on some interesting lighting tricks and lots of baking and compression to get the game run fast enough, but somehow they turned it into an advantage.

Great! Now everybody knows what Pre-Production is like at my place! hahaha.
Yeah, we talk constantly about how you only want stuff to "feel real" and not actually be real.

Last of Us, Lost Planet 3 trailer... I had the priviledge of chewing the fat a bit with a guy who worked on Tintin and AVATAR, as well as someone who worked on in-game cinematics for Uncharted 3 and I think a lot of the "strategy" for animation (Color AND Motion) with human characters (regardless of style, because "not deforming people too much" is still a style... even if it is frequently miscategorized as "realism".)

The strategy is mostly to just work in what people think they see when looking at a person.

One example (but not exactly the best) would be specific frames from "Lightning Returns" by Square Enix. Not everything in there I like, but specific bits I do like:

The eyes in this shot for example. I don't think the guys doing this were like: "Let's read 15 chapters of Human biology to get this right!"

My view is always: "We're going to stay on THIS side of making a cartoon, but without using balloon noses and other stuff that makes people look alien."

Old 09 September 2013   #51
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread