Vray bump material not in 3ds Max?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #16
Originally Posted by musashidan: I am in the process of moving completely from MR to Vray and I'm very happy so far. However, I wondered why there is no vraybumpmtl in Max and there is in Maya?

So let's say I create a vray blend mat with a metal shader and a rusted metal shader with a custom mask. I could then drop the blend mat into the vray bump mtl and use the same mask to drive a bump effect where the rust transitions.

I've tried other workarounds but with limited success. Any idea why this material is in Maya and not in Max?? Anyone using a workaround for this that they have had success in?

Cheers.

English is not my first language and sometimes i have a hard time understanding some concepts. I have read 3 or 4 times your question and i don't understand exactly what you are looking for, and more important, maybe i'm not familiar with what you are saying. Can you please, if possible, show me an example where this concept can be useful?? I'm really curious to know more about it. Thank you.

Old 11 November 2012   #17
Sure, David Baker keeps it updated now, go to http://www.maxplugins.de and get a 2013 build. He's a really cool dude for recompiling a lot of these orphaned plugins.

- Neil

Old 11 November 2012   #18
Originally Posted by TAVO: English is not my first language and sometimes i have a hard time understanding some concepts. I have read 3 or 4 times your question and i don't understand exactly what you are looking for, and more important, maybe i'm not familiar with what you are saying. Can you please, if possible, show me an example where this concept can be useful?? I'm really curious to know more about it. Thank you.

I have another example of where this is useful. Say you have 5 subobject metal materials, each with it's own bump map. Then, I want to apply a low level procedural bump to all 5 submaterials. Sorta like I do here:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educa...ic_surfaces.htm

Now I could add it to all 5 submaterials, but they already have bump maps, and so setting up mixes for each is annoying. When I have the bump combiner or Utility material, I make that my high level material, put the subobject material as a sub material, then I can place my procedural bump in the utility material and it gets applied to all 5 submaterials automatically. Now I only have a single map to control to affect all those sub materials, and it requires far fewer nodes in my shading tree.

- Neil

Old 11 November 2012   #19
I see now, thank you Neil. It can really be useful for many type of materials now that i think about it. I will look for more information.

Old 11 November 2012   #20
Cheers for the heads-up Neil. Nothing worse than old, useful tools falling by the wayside and upsetting a workflow you may have come to rely on......

@Tavo: Here's an example of a type of shader that can be set up using the description I gave in the original post/question. I hope it's clearer.(but maybe it's not )

It's not meant to simulate any real material but you can see by the example how useful this kind of combiner/utility shader can be. Aswell as Neil's great example of another of it's uses. Or it could be used to add a global layer of dust over several materials....etc.

In my example the mask can have blacks/whites clamped or not; depending on the result you require.

Old 11 November 2012   #21
Thanks Daniel, i have been playing with the Utility Material as well, some new ways to explore different materials.

Old 11 November 2012   #22
No problem Jesus, It really is such a useful shader.

Old 11 November 2012   #23
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread