iPad Art #2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
iPad Art #2

Hey, this is my second artwork on the iPad, using Sketchbook pro for sketching & shading, and using ArtStudio for fixing proportions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sdfsd.jpg (68.1 KB, 53 views)

Old 09 September 2012   #2
You need to work on your basic observational and eye-to-hand coordination skills. Your proportions are really off, such as her left shoulder, her nose, her scalp, her right arm, her hand, size ratio between the head, neck and torso, etc.

Your problem with proportions is glaringly obvious even in your avatar image--the facial features are crooked and misplaced. Take your images and flip them horizontally (and do the same for the photo reference you used), and then compare them--you'll see all the problems you can't see now. This is because our brains have biases, and are hardwired a certain way. When you flip an image horizontally, you see all the effects of that bias from a new point-of-view. This is why illustrators since the old days are taught to look at their work in the mirror periodically as they work, to make sure they aren't making mistakes they can't notice. Digitally, it's much easier to just flip the image in Photoshop.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Lunatique,

thanks for your reply.
Obviously I already know of all the mistakes (head, nose, arm..etc) I can see them clearly. Please note that it is done on the iPad, therefore fixing populations at this stage requires too much work on a small screen. It will be fixed later on, on my cintiq.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Originally Posted by Shanytc: Lunatique,

thanks for your reply.
Obviously I already know of all the mistakes (head, nose, arm..etc) I can see them clearly. Please note that it is done on the iPad, therefore fixing populations at this stage requires too much work on a small screen. It will be fixed later on, on my cintiq.

What I'm saying is, you need to train your ability to depict proper proportions, so there would be no glaring mistakes like that in the first place, regardless of what you're drawing on. It's not as if you can't erase or paint over something on the iPad. If you see mistakes, correct them ASAP. No excuses. This is one of the most basic skills a visual artist needs to acquire at the beginner level, and if you don't have that skill currently, you need to catch up and acquire it, because your ability to render details, values, and colors are far ahead of your most basic drawing skills.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Originally Posted by Lunatique: What I'm saying is, you need to train your ability to depict proper proportions, so there would be no glaring mistakes like that in the first place, regardless of what you're drawing on. It's not as if you can't erase or paint over something on the iPad. If you see mistakes, correct them ASAP. No excuses. This is one of the most basic skills a visual artist needs to acquire at the beginner level, and if you don't have that skill currently, you need to catch up and acquire it, because your ability to render details, values, and colors are far ahead of your most basic drawing skills.

Yes indeed, basic proportion skills are important none the less! I will take note of that for the next piece. Usually I just draw for fun, nothing more, so I never calculate distances between body parts since I just sketch and paint to pass the time. I'll fix this one before continuing on

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread