SCAD or AAU. Which one is expensive?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2010   #1
SCAD or AAU. Which one is expensive?

Hello,

The tuition fee for a graduate program at Academy of Art is $15,120 per year. Tuition fee + Books + Living = $36,000.
The tuition fee at SCAD alone comes to $30,000. When we include living and other expenses, It would make it around $36,000... but everyone seem to say SCAD isn't expensive compared to AAU.
Both seem to cost almost the same when we include living expense and AAU wouldn't be expensive if it isn't the living cost. Am I right about this? I don't understand why It's mentioned in many threads that scad isn't expensive.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong. Can someone please clarify me. I'm confused.

Old 10 October 2010   #2
No replies yet!

I think students consider scad is cheaper because duration of the graduate programs MA(1 year) and MFA(2year) unlike graduate programs at AAU which is 3 years.

Old 10 October 2010   #3
SCAD regularly gives out large scholarships, while AAU doesn't. Also, living in San Fransisco is very expensive.

Old 10 October 2010   #4
Oh! yes the scholarships!!!.That's a good point. Thank you

Last edited by dancgfx : 10 October 2010 at 06:41 PM.

Old 10 October 2010   #5
SCAD is generally generous with scholarships, especially if you're from a country that they dont have representing their school yet or if you scored well on your ACT/SAT. If you dont receive a scholarship however, it is very expensive. The cost of living in Savannah is fairly cheap, expect to pay about $1 per square foot, if you dont want to live in a completely horrible area. But if you wanted to live in the hood, you can find stuff for incredibly cheap, roughly $.50 per square foot. However, if you choose to live on campus at SCAD, expect to pay around $1200 per quarter for a meal plan (required) and housing about $2000 per quarter for a dorm room. If you're a freshman, you're looking at sharing a small hotel room for two people.

Overall, SCAD is expensive, Savannah is small, cheap, flat and broken up into three sections, the wealthy, the poor, and SCAD.

Old 10 October 2010   #6
Emmuh: Thanks a lot. That was very helpful. I'm glad to know that the place isn't expensive. I would love to do a MFA in Visual Effects but because of money constraints I'm thinking of doing MA(which is 1 year). If I'm lucky enough to get a scholarship then it's MFA . I heard there is not much(if not none) animation industries over there. Can I know what your opinion about that?

Old 11 November 2010   #7
The bfa at scad is 4 years, each year at scad is 30,000? so that would be a total of 120,000!! , am i wrong or missing something?

Old 11 November 2010   #8
120,000 sounds right

yea i was just looking as well thats what i calculated as well... which is pretty ridiculous

Old 11 November 2010   #9
If it isn't for the scholarships, I don't think many would prefer SCAD over AAU.

Old 11 November 2010   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread