Facing the Future - Rigging Alternative

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2018
Facing the Future - Rigging Alternative

I was stunned when watching this video...that the team on this project didn't rig their character faces...but instead streamed facial meshes (30-40 per second) from recorded real-time capture. It's hard to imagine a game engine can keep up w/that. Unique facial geo every frame!

Catch what is discussed at the 1:08 spot in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4P...dTxqZpS&index=8

The results speak for themselves.

The hardware and costs required to do this is beyond most of us, but one can see that bigger studios may be moving this direction on some projects.

I don't know why, but this approach was problematic with eyes/eyelids...and they did rig the eye-lids.

04 April 2018
Reminds me a bit of Laika's route with 3D printed faces that they swap in and out.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Reminds me a bit of Laika's route with 3D printed faces that they swap in and out.

Do u have a link?

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: but instead streamed facial meshes (30-40 per second) from recorded real-time capture. It's hard to imagine a game engine can keep up w/that. Unique facial geo every frame!

Game engines, DirectX/OpenGL, GPUs and GPU memory are so fast that they can probably cope with 300 facial geometry swaps a second or even more if necessary, depending on what else is in the 3D scene that the GPU needs to draw.

Purely technically speaking, you're just pointing at one cluster of face vertices/polys in GPU memory on frame 1 and saying "draw this", and then at the next cluster of face vertices/polys in GPU memory on frame 2 and saying "draw this".

I don't think GPU hardware cares much where the vertices/polygons to be drawn are stored in memory or what they are shaped like, as long as it gets at them on time and puts them through the geometry drawing circuits in its hardware.

Or put another way, 30 to 40 unique facial meshes a second really is not much load for a modern GPU compared to the hundreds or even thousands of textured and lit meshes a GPU draws and re-draws per frame in a modern game like Grand Theft Auto 5.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Game engines, DirectX/OpenGL, GPUs and GPU memory are so fast that they can probably cope with 300 facial geometry swaps a second or even more if necessary, depending on what else is in the 3D scene that the GPU needs to draw.

Purely technically speaking, you're just pointing at one cluster of face vertices/polys in GPU memory on frame 1 and saying "draw this", and then at the next cluster of face vertices/polys in GPU memory on frame 2 and saying "draw this".

I don't think GPU hardware cares much where the vertices/polygons to be drawn are stored in memory or what they are shaped like, as long as it gets at them on time and puts them through the geometry drawing circuits in its hardware.

Or put another way, 30 to 40 unique facial meshes a second really is not much load for a modern GPU compared to the hundreds or even thousands of textured and lit meshes a GPU draws and re-draws per frame in a modern game like Grand Theft Auto 5.
Maybe so...but we are talking about doing multiple human faces with lots of geo, plus live cloth simulations, tons of landscape data and virtually photo-realistic lighting..all in real time. As the developers said...this wasn't possible until very recently.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Do u have a link?

They won a Sci-tech award for it:
https://3dprint.com/119975/laika-ac...wards-3d-print/

04 April 2018
That's exactly what the game L.A. Noire did back in 2010 actually.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by EricM: That's exactly what the game L.A. Noire did back in 2010 actually.

Wow. I thought it was all rigging previously. Upon further investigation...i guess the technique is new to Unity...as until recently the lack of Alembic support wouldn't allow for the approach.

Thanks guys for the info...and Luke for that link.

reply share thread