Inspired Advanced 3D Character Rigging and Defomrations ships April 8th!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
Ok, as someone who's read the book, I'd say:

1. Like Brad said, this gets deep fairly quick. If you're very familiar with how Maya works (nodes and such) then you'll probably be ok, but getting another rigging book that covers more of the basics (the Inspired one is quite good, and dovetails nicely) would be a really good idea.

2. Building or using? There's actually extensive stuff on writing tools to automate parts of the rigging process in the book. I think it's best to know what the tools do, so you can debug it when it breaks, or extend it when it doesn't do exactly what you need for a particular shot.

I still owe you guys a review that I said I'd do. Time? Whazzat? I'll do it, I promise!

04 April 2005
I still owe you guys a review that I said I'd do. Time? Whazzat? I'll do it, I promise![/QUOTE]

..no rush..time yeah.. that is a whole book in its self..Time how have more of it and still work in CG

05 May 2005
This is a great book for setup artists. Instead of just explaining how to do something, the book provides a lot of explanation into why certain things are done the way they are. I'm only about a quarter of the way through it now, but I've already learned a lot of new techniques for rigging characters. Great job guys!

09 September 2005
thanks for the reviews and feedback so far!

I just wanted to thank every one for the great feedback and reviews so far and here are the latest ones from amazon... Thanks agian every one that has submited bugs as well-you have helped our book be even better. The latest errata and download files are up on the www.creatureTD.com website (just log in to download) .
Brad

Finally we skip the nonsense ang right to the meat!, August 17, 2005
Reviewer: Andrei Savu "Andrei" (USA) -
(REAL NAME)
This book not only re-affirms my workflow, but offers distinct perspectives and techniques that help those who may have their own alternative to rigging. Pipeline issues are the most important element of rigging once you hit a certain level, and this book explains possible things to look out for and prepare for no matter what size of the production. Although skipping the book previous to this, I felt right at home while reading and it fit my 'style' of professionalism when discussing things thoroughly and not avoiding any part of the process no matter how small. The other part I loved that the tutorials and examples given don't hold your hand and treat you like you are just getting acquainted with 3D or a computer for that matter. There are subtleties that get mentioned that the experienced TD can learn to appreciate, but may be ignored by the beginner/novice. If you are a beginner a lot of those subtleties or other discussions throughout may confuse you and while you can pretend you understand you may need the 1st book or other hands on rigging experience to fully grasp it enough to be able to apply the knowledge how you want or see fit. THAT is the most important thing about this book.

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
Finally an advanced book for the aspiring character TD, May 22, 2005
Reviewer: Menashe Morobuse (Holon Israel) - See all my reviews
Covering some very tough to tackle issues with an elegance of an angel, I find this book one of the best books in cg written ever!
I have been waiting for this book for a long time, knowing I will finally find answers and new ideas and directions for me to try.
The book is well written both on the practical side, very advanced issues, and on the educational side, it is very clear and straightforward, while still stimulating your mind to think and evolve.
A job well done. If I could give it more than 5 i would have

A must have for any serious creature TD. , May 16, 2005
Reviewer: Javier Solsona (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Finally a well thought, well structured book catered to the advanced creature TDs out there.
The kind of knowledge you'll get from this book would take years and years to master and now you can easily learn about them over the many pages of priceless info.
It's good to see a book not forgetting about riggers in games since it talks about both games and film rigging alike.
There are only a few true gems available and this is certainly one of them.

Javier Solsona
Creature TD - Propaganda Games

5 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
A wealth of knowledge for character TDs!, May 11, 2005
Reviewer: Timothy Naylor (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic. Its structure and layout are well thought out and executed. The information is for any creature TD looking to improve their skillset and learn new approaches to common creature setup problems.

The book is a gateway to the knowledge base for the industry when it come to rigging concepts and approaches. There is so little information on rigging and this book fills the gap in a professional way.

Timothy Naylor
Creature TD - Industrial Light & Magic

04 April 2006
quick update

To address some of the image size problems I have posed the book images on the creature TD website. The below link takes you to the errata section that has all the latest info and fixes for the book.

Book Errata link

Thanks agian to every one that has bought or recomended this book.
Brad Clark

04 April 2006
There's been a lot of rigging resources coming out lately. Not that that's a bad thing.
Think I may try to pick this one up in a few weeks. Wouldn't mind having a little something more to look over on my break.

04 April 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread